Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYING OFF A CC WITH MY HELOC

tag
rew
Established Member

PAYING OFF A CC WITH MY HELOC

I am trying to raise my scores. Presently TU is 726 and EQ is 709.  I am trying to pay down cc debt.  How would my scores be affected if I paid a cc balance off of 4600.00 with my HELOC?  Isn't this type of debt seen differently than cc debt? Please advise.

Ryan

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: PAYING OFF A CC WITH MY HELOC

This will only work if your HELOC is high enough to not be scored as revolving credit. Endless debate on what the magic figure is, and it varies by credit bureau. Definitely $50K CL is high enough, and the breakpoint is probably somewhere around $30K. Anything lower than the magic figure will make it report as revolving, and it will still be figured into your util.

This is not the balance, but the original credit limit.

And I guess this should go without saying, but don't let yourself get in the habit of shoving CC debt onto your HELOC. It's a terrible idea to transfer unsecured (CC) debt to secured (mortgage.) hth
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
rew
Established Member

Thanks for responding haulingthescoreup. My credit line is for 50,000.  I totally agree with you that it isn't a good habit of transferring cc debt to HELOC debt.  I am trying to bump my scores up to get a better rate to refi my 1st mortgage and I thought this would help.  I am paying my other cc debt down as well which will also help. I appreciate your advice.

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

rew wrote:

Thanks for responding haulingthescoreup. My credit line is for 50,000.  I totally agree with you that it isn't a good habit of transferring cc debt to HELOC debt.  I am trying to bump my scores up to get a better rate to refi my 1st mortgage and I thought this would help.  I am paying my other cc debt down as well which will also help. I appreciate your advice.

Sounds like a good solution, then.

Be sure to leave one card reporting a balance of $10 - 20. Don't let them all report $0, or you'll lose points. Strange, but true.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.