Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRBC Credit Bureau File Errors

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

PRBC Credit Bureau File Errors

So I am fiddling around with my credit information as I always am fiddling with my credit obsession. I go to look at my PRBC file and Whooa!

There are five, count them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bank accounts that do not belong to me. No other information is erroneous other than these four bank accounts. Wells Fargo Bank, which I have never had an account with. Wells Fargo Bank (New Mexico) where I have never lived nor had an account. Marriott Employees FCU, which I have never belonged to. Generations FCU which I have never even heard of nor belonged to. Then there is Security Service FCU which I do belong to. Odd issue is that there are two different accounts listed. My checking account and a checking account that has activity before I joined SSFCU as well as a different account number.

Obviously, my estranged cousin, who has the same first and last name as I do, and my files somehow merged. To be sure, I will be on the phone tomorrow to PRBC to see about fixing this issue. 

Have any forum members had any experience with disputing errors on their PBRC credit files? If so, would you care to share your experience?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: PRBC Credit Bureau File Errors

I have not used PBRC before. But what I will ask is because of the name situation, have you already verified that none of this is happening on your file with the other 3 Bureau's?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 17
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

This is my first time hearing of the PBRC. I'll have to do some research on it. Thanks for the heads up.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 17
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Ron, this has been an ongoing issue for the past year since I became "obsessed" with my credit. I have no other issues with my other bureau files except for an address which does not belong to me on EQ. 

Other than the address on EQ and the five bank accounts reported on PRBC I have had no other issues. My concern is where is PRBC pulling this information from? I have seen my LexisNexis and ChexSystems reports in the last few months and nothing there.

My last name is very uncommon and my first name is very common. My grandfather, uncle, (both deceased) cousin and I all have the same name just different middle names. In fact, there are only two family trees with my last name that I have found in the US. You would think with DOBs and SSNs that CRAs and OCs could differentiate between us.

Message 4 of 17
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Medic, that is strange almost. And you would think they have to be pulling it from somewhere right? I don't blame you wanting to get this squared away. I don't know how this bureau functions when disputing, but I'm interested to see how they handle it. They should be able to fix it and/or give you more info on what is causing this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 17
Medic981
Valued Contributor

BTW

This is the article that I came across that prompted me to check out my PRBC credit file. Do a Total Background Check on Yourself – Annual Consumer Reporting Agencies.

Message 6 of 17
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Ron, from what I have read, you dispute with PRBC just like the big 3. I am going to call them just to touch base and go from there. I need coffee first! I will definitely keep the forum posted.

Message 7 of 17
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

Have any forum members had any experience with disputing errors on their PBRC credit files? If so, would you care to share your experience?

Here's the main question that matters: Which bank or property management company denied you while citing this, "PBRC," data collector?

It would be great if the big three collected payment data from rent and utilities and such. But, as it is, the only time this information would come up, is if someone is prompted by a lender to obtain letters of credit; which just means that the applicant probably doesn't have the requisite 2 or 3 credit trade-lines that they need, (with at least 24 months of history) in the first place.

Most of these small data collectors are by and large, just irrelevant, and they only become an occasional nuisance when we discover that a certain bank just decided to give them some business.

So, it's more of just an anal retentive hobby, to try to track down and correct every little thing, from every single data collector. It's a story of diminishing returns, a zero sum game... as it's impossible to fully harness or control all of the personal data that is floating around out there on us.

In some cases, opting out of everything can cause more harm than it can help. But, this is usually if the data collector is prevalent enough... like Chex, or LexisNexis.

Otherwise, in the main, obscure and niche data collectors aren't used widely enough for it to make a difference, in practice.

Take it one step further, and, trying to track down and gather all of the data that is out there, can actually be counter-productive. To wit: You'll notice that each data collector wants to verify all of your data, when you are simply trying to ascertain what data they have on you, if any. Well, how can you be sure, prior to sharing your personal data... that they even had that data, before you just gave it to them?

You can actually test these theories out, by deliberately providing test data, that is slightly obscured, and you'll find that a good portion of the data can be dictated directly to the data collectors, by the subject. I recall having incorrect phone numbers on various data collectors, which allowed me to figure out where they obtained that data. But, even trying to fix obviously incorrect phone numbers (like 999-99-9999) isn't always easy, surprisingly.

So, obviously that leaves a lot of room for social engineering, or data collectors ending up with inaccurate data. The data collectors that are the most egregious, and dangerous... are the ones that ask for a checking account number, to verify whether you're in their system. Uh, excuse me? I'm not going to just dole out my banking information. Either they have me in their system, or not.

It goes without saying, but we're still in the stone ages, when it comes to proper regulation and protections of our personal data.

Message 8 of 17
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Even though PRBC is not what i call a overly reputable CRA, It still matters.. its like having misinformation on Lex/Nex... it can come back and hit you in the backside down the road... even though i wouldnt call them a major player...

Message 9 of 17
trusty
Frequent Contributor

I know you didn't just compare someone that no one has ever heard of, to Lexis Nexis. lol

Lexis Nexis can completely destroy someone's life, ruin someone's career, prevent someone from obtaining bank accounts, or prevent the ability to obtain affordable insurance... if any history of claims, criminal data, or any judgements show up on it.

It matters hugely and critically to one's own financial survival, if a consumer is being misidentified on Lexis Nexis; which is probably the most widely used tool for background checks, at least in the states.

PBRC? Never heard of them; and whatever rent or utility data they call themselves collecting... doesn't mean a hill of beans.

Obsessing over every little niche data collector is tantamount to reaching a level of paranoia.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.