cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Off Auto and Student Loan, use Self Lend?

tag
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

Paid Off Auto and Student Loan, use Self Lend?

After several years, I finally paid off my auto & student loans!  It did impact my FICO score negatively, about 20 points decrease.  I understand that having a mix of loan and credit is a good thing.  Since the auto and students loans are no longer active and closed, should I get a Self loan so I have an active loan on my credit report?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Paid Off Auto and Student Loan, use Self Lend?

@HappyGoLucky4U wrote:

After several years, I finally paid off my auto & student loans!  It did impact my FICO score negatively, about 20 points decrease.  I understand that having a mix of loan and credit is a good thing.  Since the auto and students loans are no longer active and closed, should I get a Self loan so I have an active loan on my credit report?

It's not necessary.

But if you want to pick up some easy points you could get an SSL from a lender like NFCU and immediately pay it down to 9%.

If you do nothing your scores will pick up anyway over time.

It's not "a good thing" to have loans; it's just a way to appease an anomaly in the FICO 8 and 9 algorithms.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I'd rather save lowering my AAoA for something I'll actually use.

Message 3 of 5
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@HappyGoLucky4U wrote:

You might post your AAoA, So we could get an idea if it would be worth it?

Message 4 of 5
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

My current AAoA is 3 years and 3 months

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@HappyGoLucky4U wrote:

You might post your AAoA, So we could get an idea if it would be worth it?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.