cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid/Released Tax Lein falls off. Nice bump. Not EQ!

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Paid/Released Tax Lein falls off. Nice bump. Not EQ!

I had a paid/released tax on 11/15 that was filed 08/2009. EX already removed it. TU will fall off in a week. Yay! Public record gone. Except for BK. Nice bump last year on my reports. And smaller bump after EX removed the lien completely.

Called EQ. I was told Paid/Released Tax Liens remains on the credit file for seven years from the date released or ten years from the date filed.  Whichever falls sooner. So now it stays until 08/2019! I filed a complaint with the CFPB and thats the responce I got from EQ after their investigation. I was under the impression after 7 yrs it would be removed from all 3 CRA's. I called the CFPB and the dude was a bit perplexed, but very nice and understanding.  Pretty friggin rotten man. I was denied a withdrawl last year. Maybe a better chance after EX and TU remove the PR from my reports. I'll try again to get a withdrawl from EQ.

Seems like EQ is the lowest score on most people on here. And the toughest to please to get a score thats close to the other CRA's.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid/Released Tax Lein falls off. Nice bump. Not EQ!

I have a tax lien that when I paid it I received a "terminate and cancel" letter. I disputed it with both TU and EQ and so far EQ has said they will only state it as "released". I plan on writing them a letter with a copy of the law that allows for "withdrawals". However, the state that filed the lien does not communicate with anyone. I think I have to file a motion to have it "withdrawn". I am debating the value of $2K for an attorney vs. having a release lien on my record for the next 6 years 9 months... My mid mortgage score is 670. I've been told as long as it is released, it's pretty much a non-issue for a mortgage with a score over 620.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, new here.

"I've been told as long as it is released, it's pretty much a non-issue for a mortgage with a score over 620"

Is this true? I have a 658 score right now but expecting it to go up soon. I successfully had a (the only) collection account removed by the collection agency but it isn't showing up yet. I also paid both of my CC's down to 0 (still waiting for that to show up). I'm expecting a nice little bump in my scores afterward. However, I've only been successful in getting my paid tax lien removed from Experian and the bank I'm trying to get the loan through uses Equifax.

I've been dreading what the bank will say about the tax lien even though it's been paid and released.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, new here.

"I've been told as long as it is released, it's pretty much a non-issue for a mortgage with a score over 620"

Is this true? I have a 658 score right now but expecting it to go up soon. I successfully had a (the only) collection account removed by the collection agency but it isn't showing up yet. I also paid both of my CC's down to 0 (still waiting for that to show up). I'm expecting a nice little bump in my scores afterward. However, I've only been successful in getting my paid tax lien removed from Experian and the bank I'm trying to get the loan through uses Equifax.

I've been dreading what the bank will say about the tax lien even though it's been paid and released.

Head over to the mortgage forum. I had the same fears. Ask them about your situation. 

Message 4 of 8
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Equifax is the most difficult to deal with on Everything but especially Bk"s and Tax liens.I wEnt thru the same except I had a Lien withdrawal notice Transunion and Experian quickly removed equifax I spent months on phone and writing letters and complaints to CFPB and finally they deleted but how do they punish me by changing my removal date for a Chapter 13 from discharged to Dismissed even thou it was changed into chapter 7 and they were only ones to do this.Good news is for you it will fall off in 2019 and just work on your profile and long as paid you have nothing to worry about but I understand you losing points since there's a public record.I hate Equifax 

Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@silkysean wrote:

Equifax is the most difficult to deal with on Everything but especially Bk"s and Tax liens.I wEnt thru the same except I had a Lien withdrawal notice Transunion and Experian quickly removed equifax I spent months on phone and writing letters and complaints to CFPB and finally they deleted but how do they punish me by changing my removal date for a Chapter 13 from discharged to Dismissed even thou it was changed into chapter 7 and they were only ones to do this.Good news is for you it will fall off in 2019 and just work on your profile and long as paid you have nothing to worry about but I understand you losing points since there's a public record.I hate Equifax 

Funny thing is EQ removed not my oldest account, but  a 2 yrs younger account  right about the time they got word from the CFPB 2 days apart. Coincidence? Lost a few points due to lowering of my AAoA. 9 yrs to 8. %$^%&$

Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Seems like EQ is the lowest score on most people on here.

It's not about the CRA.  It's about the data in the report.  If you're seeing people with lower EQ scores then it's because of the data in their EQ reports versus the data in their reports with the other 2 major CRA's.  That doesn't means that EQ is low for everyone.  Others can certainly have higher EQ scores depending on data.

The scoring model also matters.  There isn't just one scoring model.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

And the toughest to please to get a score thats close to the other CRA's. 

It's not about pleasing EQ.  EQ just maintains the report.  FICO is a Fair Isaac Corporation product, not a product of the CRA's.  myFICO is a Fair Isaac site.

Message 7 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Thanks for the input. After EQ removed one of my oldest accounts. Not the oldest though. As decribed above. My dispute was resolved with my car loan. Take away 6, get back 15. Ha! Revenge baby! Updated in siggy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.