cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid “debt” from 2014 being reported as collection for the first time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid “debt” from 2014 being reported as collection for the first time?

So I moved out of my first apartment complex in 2014, and owed them some money because of course they found reasons to eat up all my deposit.

It technically was over 30 days late if I remember, but there were issues with the amount due I needed to speak to them about that we’re linited by schedule conflicts, and I didn’t know my forwarding address until the last minute, so I was in contact with them the whole time, they knew I intended to pay and never mentioned sending it to collections, and it was probably like 35-40 days after issue, but I eventually got the joint account holder to drop off a check for me, it did get paid, I had verbal conformation, and I didn’t hear anything about it for 3.5 years.

I get a FICO notification that a collection has been added to two of my reports, and it’s the *first* reporting of this old apartment bill that I actually paid, and not just that—the collection says the balance has increased by 25% over the original!

Ihave received no written notice from the collection agency, I don’t have an account number, nothing. It’s possible they sent something that got lost in the forwarding address chaos years ago, but to have sent nothing since then?

This feels blatantly scammy, but is it illegal? Are they able to increase the amount I owe on an apartment debt?

And do I have the right to request validation of the debt from the CA within 30 days of the *first report to the credit bureau?*

A record of the check that paid the bill exists, but accessing it is tricky because It was in the joint account holder’s name and I’m noy in contact with them anymore. If i did manage to access this, would there be any issue clearing the collection because the check is in the original amount, not the total amount?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid “debt” from 2014 being reported as collection for the first time?

You need to first address if the debt was actually paid then go from there. Not to be harsh but counting on a verbal confirmation that a debt was paid is a little irresponsible (maybe thats too harsh?) in my book. Maybe you didn't care about your credit or debts at the time though.

@Anonymouswrote:
old apartment bill that I actually paid

* you did not pay it, someone told you they paid it for you

figure out if the debt was ever even paid and go from there

You need proof it was paid. You said someone dropped off a check for you? Was it your check? Do you have records of your check?

Message 2 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

You need to first address if the debt was actually paid then go from there. Not to be harsh but counting on a verbal confirmation that a debt was paid is a little irresponsible (maybe thats too harsh?) in my book. Maybe you didn't care about your credit or debts at the time though.

@Anonymouswrote:

You need proof it was paid. You said someone dropped off a check for you? Was it your check? Do you have records of your check?

I read it as that he got verbal comfirmation from the apartment people, not the check dropper offer. But I agree. Step one check with apartment for proof of payment.  A collections clerical error is much easier to address than tracking down unknown third party for payment receipts.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kreewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I read it as that he got verbal comfirmation from the apartment people, not the check dropper offer. But I agree. Step one check with apartment for proof of payment.  A collections clerical error is much easier to address than tracking down unknown third party for payment receipts.

You still can't submit a "verbal receipt" for proof that a debt was paid. I guess I'll sit back though. I've never dealt with collections. I'm just looking and seeing that there is literally no proof anything was ever paid at this point in time.

Message 4 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Kree

You still can't submit a "verbal receipt" for proof that a debt was paid. I guess I'll sit back though. I've never dealt with collections. I'm just looking and seeing that there is literally no proof anything was ever paid at this point in time.

I never said OP could submit a 'verbal receipt'  I said he should contact the apartment company.  It could be a  simple mistake.  "Sorry mr OP we will mail you a letter showing that you don't owe any money.  And contact the CA to stop attempts to collect."   a 2 minute phone call could be the end of it.

Not saying it will happen that way either, but it could. Worth a shot.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So myFico alerted me to say "dispute removed from credit report" regarding this account, creditkarma is saying "Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements," wallethub is saying "account responsibility changed from joint to individual," and TransUnion is saying the dispute is still open and ongoing.

What does all of this mean?? Particularly "meets FCRA requirements?" Does this mean the account has been verified as legitimate within FCRA requirements, or that my *dispute criteria* meet FCRA requirements? Is it possible for a collection account to change from joint to individual? I'm seeing conflicting answers regarding the FRCA comment in particular.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.