Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid down capital one 94%, score goes down 20 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid down capital one 94%, score goes down 20 points

While i know my score isn't good, can anyone explain this: http://i.imgur.com/HKBqMB0.png

Not to mention, just checking Experian the account is showing this: http://i.imgur.com/IMuW6Nk.png (experian dropped me 13 points)

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid down capital one 94%, score goes down 20 points

Yes, second one it a mistake on their part.  It happened to me and took about 3 months to get resolved.  I did nothing.  Just waited for them to see their error and fix it.  I have never seen a score go down 20 point for paying down your card 94%.

Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Right, a score should not drop for paying down that much. Something else could have triggered this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

This sort of thing is an extremely common topic.  Our proxy here at work blocks imgur so I can't see your screenshots.

To determine the cause(s) of any scoring change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  You cannot rely solely on the score, what you think the changes are, myFICO alerts/updates, etc.  You must go to the report data.

If you dropped your revolving utilization by 94% and you lost 20 points then there are several possiblities such as:

• The account has not yet reported.  Your accounts don't instantly report balance changes and typically report once a month.  Be aware of the report dates of your accounts.   Also keep in mind that after a creditor reports it can take a CRA several business days to update.  A scoring model can only use the data in a report.  It cannot access your current balances.
  • You had bigger negative changes that led to the drop.

Again, you have to go to the report data and carefully review.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did pull my TR 1b report just the other day to check for the updates and how they report.  It was 100% accurate.  As fast as the CRA's get the info and report, so will fico. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, second one it a mistake on their part.  It happened to me and took about 3 months to get resolved.  I did nothing.  Just waited for them to see their error and fix it.  I have never seen a score go down 20 point for paying down your card 94%.

A mistake on their part resulting in that sort of tradeline data likely gets discounted from the scoring algorithm similar to what a dispute does and based on the first screenshot there's likely limited positive tradeline history.

I'd be looking at my Equifax report and seeing if it were similar, though as you suggest it should get fixed within a few reporting cycles.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.