cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off all my credit card debt down to zero - will this hurt my score?

tag
drewsg3
Established Member

Paid off all my credit card debt down to zero - will this hurt my score?

I know the general consensus is that you be less than 30% credit utilization, my score went to 770 when I got down to 20% utilization. But a couple of days ago I paid off everything. Will carrying a zero balance on all my cards hurt my overall credit?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Paid off all my credit card debt down to zero - will this hurt my score?

Yes. You'll get the all zero penalty. If you can put a small charge on one card of <8% and let it report. Then pay before the due date. Thats when you'll see the most gains. Or AZEO as we say. But you'll still see gains from getting your util down for where it was before. Congrats.

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@drewsg3 wrote:

I know the general consensus is that you be less than 30% credit utilization, my score went to 770 when I got down to 20% utilization. But a couple of days ago I paid off everything. Will carrying a zero balance on all my cards hurt my overall credit?

1.  There is no such general consensus. Yes you should try to be under 30% but it's better to be under 7%.  And it's even better to be under 5%.  30% is not great and causes you to lose a lot of points.

2.  "Carrying" a zero balance won't hurt you; in fact it's helpful. But reporting all zero balances will cause a penalty. You should let one bank card report a small balance each month before you pay it off.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@drewsg3 wrote:

Oh no! The creditors will not like thisSmiley Sad 

Oh well, tuff cookiesSmiley Wink

Yes it will hurt your score but if you allow one card to report a balance you will be better off. Good thing is   once a statement cuts with a balance, this will be reported to bureaus , you can pay in full and still be cc debt freeSmiley Happy

Boy I wish I could achieve that...sigh...Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was mentioned and I will confirm my oops in November 2021! Pursuing a balance transfer (got it) and due to timing created an AZEO situation. Smiley Surprised

The EX Cb hit me for a drop of 28 points while EQ and TU ignored the zero balance situation. Once the balance transfer reported all was happy again and EX up dated my profile and returned the 28 points ( I did not think they would give them all back as a few years back this happened and they did not give me back all the points).  Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 7
drewsg3
Established Member

Thanks guys. I will buy something and put it on my Amazon or Best buy so I can pay it off interest free while the balance reports. 

Message 6 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@drewsg3 wrote:

Thanks guys. I will buy something and put it on my Amazon or Best buy so I can pay it off interest free while the balance reports. 

Well I hope it's something you actually need, because it's never a good idea to incur debt for the sake of FICO scores. We always say around here Finances > FICO.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.