Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic Mode!!

tag
selena
Contributor

Panic Mode!!

I decided to check my credit report because I haven't done so in a while and I notice that an old collection (paid in full after it posted for $51) which was posted on my Transunion back in 2011 (last updated in 2012) had been removed. But low and behold I have a new collection on my Equifax that posted today for a balance of $51 dollars from 2012 listed as unpaid. The same collection was removed and added onto a new report after it had been paid in full. Please tell me I am not crazy and they can not do that. It was a small remaining balance from a hospital bill that I had forgot about because I was in the process of moving to another state. It won't cause any problems with my other accounts will it, I just picked up a new Amex a few weeks ago. I am young and because I have no other people I can go to in times of need my credit is literally my life so I try to maintain it as best as I can so things like this really break me down. I know it is just a small balance but to me a collection is a collection period. Do you think I will be ok until I can get things fixed?

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Panic Mode!!

@selena wrote:

I decided to check my credit report because I haven't done so in a while and I notice that an old collection (paid in full after it posted for $51) which was posted on my Transunion back in 2011 (last updated in 2012) had been removed. But low and behold I have a new collection on my Equifax that posted today for a balance of $51 dollars from 2012 listed as unpaid. The same collection was removed and added onto a new report after it had been paid in full. Please tell me I am not crazy and they can not do that. It was a small remaining balance from a hospital bill that I had forgot about because I was in the process of moving to another state. It won't cause any problems with my other accounts will it, I just picked up a new Amex a few weeks ago. I am young and because I have no other people I can go to in times of need my credit is literally my life so I try to maintain it as best as I can so things like this really break me down. I know it is just a small balance but to me a collection is a collection period. Do you think I will be ok until I can get things fixed?

Just challenge it and get it removed.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed....dispute that IMMIDIATELY and get it removed. That is known as "re-aging" and is absolutely illegal
Message 3 of 7
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Since you paid it I say dispute it with the credit reporting agencies. Simple process online. If you have a recipt or confirmation of payment you might be able to upload it as a supporting document.
I'm sure someone here will have an answer on how this might impact your new amex.

Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 4 of 7
selena
Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I am in the process of trying to find my old payment receipts from 2011. The actual date is from 04/2011. I've moved a few times since then so it's gonna be kinda hard but I did file an online dispute as I have not recieved any letters or calls of the sort about it. I try to keep all information update as trying to run from debt will come back to bite you later so I rather take care of it as soon as possible.

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paying of a collection does not result in its removal from your credit report.

If you paid the collection back in 2012, then deletion from your credit report at that time was voluntary on the part of the debt collector.

It is very rare that, once they have chosen to voluntarily delete, that they will reinsert, but it is not per se prohibited.

However, any reinsertion must show the correct status of paid, $0 balance.

A dispute at this point would thus be directed at the inaccurate reporting of unpaid with a balance, and not at its reinsertion per se, as that is not inaccurate reporting.

However, I would not begin by disputing as inaccurately showing unpaid, as your goal is to get it removed, not updated to show paid.

I would first call the debt collector and ask why it has been reinserted.  It was likely an admin error, perhaps by thieir software picking up the old collection and erroneously reporting it. 

I would speculate that the debt collector will voluntarily report its deletion, and thus avoid any issues with a dispute of its accuracy.

Message 6 of 7
selena
Contributor

Sorry I mixed some things up. So it turns out it's a new collection however it is still from 5 years ago. I'm aware that the collection can stay on my report up to 7 years, I paid the previous collection (or last date of activity per say) back in 2012 (the original date for delinquicy is 4/2011 which is the date I was told they go by) and it has been reported properly on my Transunion as paid and closed until it was removed Sept. 5. Upon removal of the collection that same day a new collection was reported, with the same date of 4/2011 on my Equifax. My concern is that they are posting a collection 5 years later that I was not aware of. They had my new address when I moved to another state so I would have recieved any mail pertaining to it if it had been sent. Are you aware of a time frame that they can do that? I was living in Kentucky at the time if that helps.

Edit: I also looked up Statues of Limitation for collection debt in Kentucky and it looks like its 5 years. So what would I dispute this as?

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.