Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off car loan

tag
Smooth_J
New Contributor

Pay off car loan

Should I pay off my car loan with my new credit card? I just refinanced the car loan the beginning of this year. The credit card has 0% for 12 months and I beleive (at least hope) with 0% I can pay it off, but I am unsure if this is a wise decision... Please let me know. Thank you.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay off car loan

That would be a very bad idea in terms of your score. However, if the rate is awful on your auto loan it may be wise. So we need more info. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Tuscani on 05-22-2007 09:33 AM
Message 2 of 9
Smooth_J
New Contributor

My current rate for my car loan was 11.9 till I refinanced. Now its 9.19, but I still have a negative item on my credit report that will be on there till 2011 Smiley Sad I tried to remove it, but they said they can't and it would be against the law if they did... Honestly, I just want to pay off this as quick as possible, however according to my scores and etc they save I do not have enough credit experience. So I am unsure what to do in that case...
Message 3 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yeah more info.   What is going to be your interest rate after the 12 months is up?   In the short term it may be nice to be paying interest free for a year but what happens after the year is up.  Compare and contrast  each interest rate.    How close to maxing out the card would it be if you paid off the car loan?
Message 4 of 9
Smooth_J
New Contributor

After that...it will be a 21% rate which is very high, but I guess it is ok for the short time to pay intrest free on at least part of the debt (have around 9k left on the car loan). What does everyone think?
Message 5 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

It depends on how quickly you can pay off your credit card  otherwise I would say stay with the current refinancing of your current car loan.   21% interest is tough to swallow.   Yeah you'll have a year of interest free but you will lose out in the long run by paying almost quadrupel the interest on your Credit card.;  
Message 6 of 9
Smooth_J
New Contributor

Do you think it wise to "split it up"...half stays on the loan and half on the CC?
Message 7 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Again that all depends on how quickly you can payoff the amount on the credit card, if you can do it within the 12 month of interest free than that's not a bad idea, or at least a very big portion of it.   But if not all you are really doing is just transferring the debt, and not getting rid of it.   And if it's going to take a few years to pay off the second half of the loan that you transferred to your credit card than again you will lose out on paying more for the high interest.   Again it all depends on how quickly you plan on paying off the debt transferred to the credit card.  
Message 8 of 9
Smooth_J
New Contributor

I decided i am not going to go with it. Its actually too much of a risk and I think its best to keep that new auto loan a bit longer to build credit. Thank you all!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.