Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal MC dispute resolution

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

PayPal MC dispute resolution

I am really surprised at the LACK of help, customer service and communication with Synch/PP MC with a purchase dispute. Now this might only be the second or third in my life disputing a purchase. I never received item, after a month I tried the merchant, nothing. OK cool dispute with the CC...where is the dispute button?, where is the CS phone number, back of card...OK call, WOW you must put in a written request....NO EMAIL, no we cant do it on the phone....print form off web page, fill out and mail ( SOOOO twentieth century), get back "we can not help you until you return product"....I never received it, THAT would be the issue....no number to call from the letter....  So disappointed, normally this would not matter, as I do not regularly have issues like this, BUT when you do, it matters and wow might be dumping this card soon.....I will now be using my Citi DC card as that DOES have a dispute button...LOL  Anyone else have similar issues with PayPal MC with lousy customer service? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: PayPal MC dispute resolution

I don't have any Synch cards because these kind of threads about them are kind of a common occurrence on here.  The PayPal Mastercard is a really good card, but the customer service of Synchrony is infamous.

Message 2 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah, Synch isn't really known for great customer service or issue resolution. Best to use other lenders for "important" purchases or anything questionable.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have unfortunately never heard anything good about Sync’s handling of a merchant dispute on one of their majors. It makes me wonder how they handle fraud on their cards too and is one of the reasons my PayPal Cashback has been SD’d in favor of my QuickSilver for everyday purchases and the Cash Magnet for larger ones or AMEX’s extended warranty.

Hopefully you can come to a satisfactory resolution. I would call and ask for a supervisor and explain what’s going on.
Message 4 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have unfortunately never heard anything good about Sync’s handling of a merchant dispute on one of their majors. It makes me wonder how they handle fraud on their cards too and is one of the reasons my PayPal Cashback has been SD’d in favor of my QuickSilver for everyday purchases and the Cash Magnet for larger ones or AMEX’s extended warranty.

Hopefully you can come to a satisfactory resolution. I would call and ask for a supervisor and explain what’s going on.

Thanks, funny thing is at LEAST I purchased through PayPal, so I am trying through them to resolve now.....it might be the only way I make it out of this thing whole......still though, on it's own PP MC and synch are not my favorite and this episode will give me the justification for closing the PP MC....This also means the rather large amount of money in my Synch Bank Money Market account will be moved.....

I guess I thought that the PP MC was thier top tier card and they would treat it differntly then the others....alas no.....LOL

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, funny thing is at LEAST I purchased through PayPal, so I am trying through them to resolve now.....it might be the only way I make it out of this thing whole......still though, on it's own PP MC and synch are not my favorite and this episode will give me the justification for closing the PP MC....This also means the rather large amount of money in my Synch Bank Money Market account will be moved.....

I guess I thought that the PP MC was thier top tier card and they would treat it differntly then the others....alas no.....LOL

Okay so not defending Sync here but you did actually do things incorrectly. Disputes for PayPal purchases always go through PayPal’s process first, credit card is the last resort if PayPal fails to resolve it. PayPal is actually very good about these disputes which is why a lot of sellers don’t like PayPal. 

Message 6 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so not defending Sync here but you did actually do things incorrectly. Disputes for PayPal purchases always go through PayPal’s process first, credit card is the last resort if PayPal fails to resolve it. PayPal is actually very good about these disputes which is why a lot of sellers don’t like PayPal. 

Defend away....that is why I like this place and peeps like you....this has never happened to me before, and I will blame this on me being old....I HAVE NO CLUE (lol).....so OK I am doing it right, now...BUT as a credit card - any credit card will do the same if I purchase through PayPal??  OK cool, awesome to know thank you!!!  PS I could only kudo you once for this answer....I tried hitting the button several times but nada....LOL

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Defend away....that is why I like this place and peeps like you....this has never happened to me before, and I will blame this on me being old....I HAVE NO CLUE (lol).....so OK I am doing it right, now...BUT as a credit card - any credit card will do the same if I purchase through PayPal??  OK cool, awesome to know thank you!!!  PS I could only kudo you once for this answer....I tried hitting the button several times but nada....LOL

A lot of credit card companies will shoot down PayPal claims unless you can prove that you already tried through PayPal and their dispute resolution was unacceptable given the proof that you have. PayPal will also often block or put your PayPal account in the negative if you do a chargeback without dealing with their process first. PayPal and eBay both have policies that greatly favor the buyer over the seller 99% of the time. 

Message 8 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of credit card companies will shoot down PayPal claims unless you can prove that you already tried through PayPal and their dispute resolution was unacceptable given the proof that you have. PayPal will also often block or put your PayPal account in the negative if you do a chargeback without dealing with their process first. PayPal and eBay both have policies that greatly favor the buyer over the seller 99% of the time. 

Cool, thanks again for the info! That still does not excuse synch being so hard to deal with (process wise) for a dispute (obviously now knowing the info you gave, PayPal purchases aside).  I still think I would be better off using Citi DC....

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool, thanks again for the info! That still does not excuse synch being so hard to deal with (process wise) for a dispute (obviously now knowing the info you gave, PayPal purchases aside).  I still think I would be better off using Citi DC....

I agree completely. My point wasn't to defend Sync at all but rather to point out that PayPal has an excellent dispute resolution team. I have never read of a smooth Sync dispute and I know from personal experience that Capital One is excellent with them, they didn't require anything from me the two times I disputed except a phone call with detailed info. The drawbacks of the Sync card - no notifications for transactions, no dedicated app, clunky portal, etc far outweigh the lower APR (21.24 vs 25.15) and .5% higher cash back over my trusty QuickSilver so I'll probably get rid of the PayPal in January when it turns a year old if these things aren't sorted.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.