Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying collections before a mortgage loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying collections before a mortgage loan

I plan to apply for a mortgage in about two years. I have 6 or 7 medical collections on my report. They are small amounts and I could afford to pay them. My question is since I will most likely have to pay them off before I can get approved for a mortgage, would it be better to do it now so that the date of last activity on the account will be 2 yrs old? The company will not accept pfd, I tried already, And if it makes any difference they update these accounts almost monthly. Any advice would be appreeciated.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying collections before a mortgage loan

What's the DOFD and what state are you in?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The dates of first delinquency range from 06/2004 to 06/2006. I am in Kentucky.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since these are medical collections, my non-legally binding opinion is they fall under the SOL for written accounts. 15 years in KY, so no waiting them out.

Are they with CAs? If so, I would go ahead and DV them. Either they'll go away and kick the debts back to the OC or they'll press ahead. Either sounds good for you.

If they go away, which is unlikely, that's good for you because OCs, particularly medical OCs, are much, much, much easier to deal with. They aren't hardened creditors. You will likely talk to a nurse, and medical folk by their nature wanna help.

If they press ahead, with more letters and calls and threats, they are at least communicating and it's more likely you can a PFD outta them. A lot of CAs shove you to the backburner if they think they are unlikely to get paid. It's just business.

Do NOT let on that you're planning to buy a home. They will know they can just stand firm, refuse to negotiate, wait you out, and get full payment with no change to the CRA reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.