cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off cards - any way to make sure they dont close them?

tag
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

Paying off cards - any way to make sure they dont close them?

I'm going to be paying off 5 cards -- each that were maxed or close to maxed. Any way to make sure they dont close them when I do? I know Pizzaguy suggested calling them to see what theyre thinking but its often a $8/hour call center worker who simply doesnt know the answer.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off cards - any way to make sure they dont close them?

Paying off your cards is not going to close them. I have a few cards that I have not used in at least a year and I have had no issues.

Message 2 of 4
BuffaloBoy
Valued Member

Ok

Only reason I asked is because my parents sold their home, paid off their cards, and a bunch of their card companies closed the accounts or dropped the limit significantly.

Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Paying off your cards is not going to close them. I have a few cards that I have not used in at least a year and I have had no issues.

It's not the fact that they are idle with a zero balance, but it's having 6 or 7 cards, all of which are maxed out. Creditors have been known to balance chase or close accounts in situations like this.  Not saying that it will happen but something to be cautious of.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.