Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed experience deteriorating?

tag
Blodreina
Established Contributor

PenFed experience deteriorating?

It seems that lately, my experience with PenFed has slowly grown worse.  I very rarely contact customer service but the fact that you can't do some things online forces you to (e.g., report lost/stolen, replacement card).  When you call, the wait usually exceeds 15-20 minutes.  I was on the phone replacing a comprised card for like 20-30 minutes, after I got connected with a representative.  I also recently had a cashback redemption that didn't go through.

I'm not looking to move away from them; they still have good products.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience lately.  

Also, I have no idea what subforum to put this in.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed experience deteriorating?

I  have been underwhelmed since joining. I'm still rebuilding so I'm not too picky and maybe a bit spoiled with NFCU. I don't have PenFed scores yet but I'm goign to stick around for a while to see what they give me down the road. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CommanderLexa wrote:

It seems that lately, my experience with PenFed has slowly grown worse.  I very rarely contact customer service but the fact that you can't do some things online forces you to (e.g., report lost/stolen, replacement card).  When you call, the wait usually exceeds 10-15 minutes.  I was on the phone replacing a comprised card for like 20-30 minutes, after I got connected with a representative.  I also recently had a cashback redemption that didn't go through.

I'm not looking to move away from them; they still have good products.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience lately.  

Also, I have no idea what subforum to put this in.

I have experienced some moderately long wait times when you call the main customer support but overall my experience with them has been very positive.  Yes their website needs some enhancements and improvements and I think they realize that.  I just applied for an auto loan for a vehicle that I have ordered and while I was instantly approved for a sizable amount, other then the screenshot that I took saying 'Congratulations you're approved!', there was absolutely nothing on the website that indicated I had even applied for one.  You would think under the 'Applications ' tab the application and status would show but nothing.  Nor did I receive any email communication about the loan or any information on what steps that I needed to take once my vehicle came in.  So, I waited two days until the follow up survey came via email and I stated that while I love the credit union, I was a bit dismayed about the lack of info on their website or anywhere about my auto loan application.  Next day I get a phone call from a auto loan representative out if their Tennessee office and she was fantastic and provided me with all the info on how to complete the vehicle arrives.  Best of all, she gave me her direct line and stated to call her personality when I'm ready to finish the loan and that she would handle it all.  She also stated that she was aware of the website flaws and said that it was something that they were working on.  We'll see if anything changes down the road.  

''Despite all of the above, I can't give enough praise for how generous that they have been to me with their credit products.  I think that part of their problem is that they have experienced more growth in number of members due to their popularity here and other credit forums.  

Message 3 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have been a loyal PenFed member since 1993, and service has generally been good.  However, I had a frustrating experience with them about an hour ago.  I started using my new PenFed Power Cash Rewards card about ten days ago, and the first four transactions failed to earn the 2% cash back, but all subsequent transactions have earned the 2%.  I contacted them this morning by secure message and got a call back from the "rewards department."  She could only tell me that they had submitted an inquiry to the foks who monitor transactions to verify that the transactions occurred. Huh?  I've never had a financial institution not be able to see both the transactions and the rewards at the same time.  I asked her point blank if she worked for PenFed or for a third party rewards company.  She said she worked for the "PenFed rewards department."  I don't believe her.  If she really worked for PenFed, she should go into my account and verify the transactions.  The fact that she could not tells me that she's a third party provider.  Unsatisfactory!  (By the way, I have been with NFCU since 1974, and they are indeed better.)

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

The ONLY complaint I have with PenFed is the wait times to get a CSR on the phone. It just seems as if they are short handed... 10-20 minute wait is NOT acceptable. I guess with their aggressive advertising campaign etc., that they are growing faster than they are adding support staff

BUT. When I finally get someone on the other end of the phone, they are always awesome. I have no complaints with them other than the wait times
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
The ONLY complaint I have with PenFed is the wait times to get a CSR on the phone. It just seems as if they are short handed... 10-20 minute wait is NOT acceptable. I guess with their aggressive advertising campaign etc., that they are growing faster than they are adding support staff

BUT. When I finally get someone on the other end of the phone, they are always awesome. I have no complaints with them other than the wait times

Not only are the call wait times long, but they have the worst secure message capability of any financial institution I have dealt with in the last ten years.  NFCU, Chase, Citi, and Amex all have messaging systems that are secure and prompt.  PenFed's is neither.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

No info to share, but I am very interested in following this. I am considering joining penfed since nicu slammed the back door and bolted it shut 😉
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nfcu not nicu. Auto correct
Message 8 of 16
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I have generally had good experiences with them. Just got a 3.5 CLI after filling out the survey and then being contacted by a mngr. Their ICL were some of the highest I ever got. Love the Plat rewards for gas and groc.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Replying for the follow.  PNC let me down so I recently joined Unify and PenFed to start developing relationships with other financial institutions.  Unify bought me, PenFed did not.  Here's hoping i am good enough for PenFed some day.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.