Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help! Bad credit...need advice!

Message Edited by cathrynsmama on 12-18-2007 11:20 AM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please Help! Bad credit...need advice!

Those collections are killing you my dear. There are 2 angles you should hit. Look for any inaccuracies on the collection accounts and dispute. Since you paid them they may not bother to verify and they'll drop off your report. The other angle is I don't see any revolving accounts, looks like they're all closed. You need to take baby steps and start working on a few revolving positive tradelines as your attacking the collections. I'm not saying you need to be enslaved by revolving debt again. Open a few low-limit cards (subprime or secured with your scores) and just pay them faithfully and never be late. And of course, don't use them! Well...use them minimally, keep really low balances. It can be done! It looks like a big mountain to climb when you're at the bottom looking up, but peruse these forums. Many of us have been where you are and made a comeback!
Message 2 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Agreed just start hitting the dispute button and see what comes back verified and what does not especially if there are inaccuracies.    Get into some sort of settlement or payment arrangements with any of the active collections and just get them out of your life, nevermind the fact that by paying them off it doesn't bump your score, you just need to get the Collectiosn debt gone, more so for your personal sake than debt sake.

Go purchase Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover at your bookstore.   He is spot on, on getting yourself out of debt.

**bleep** than man owes me some endorsements checksSmiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bowsd Said: Agreed just start hitting the dispute button and see what comes back verified and what does not

Yep....as the saying goes.....throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by devhip on 05-18-2007 09:52 AM
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So silly question, but what do I say as the reason? Does it matter? Will it potentially hurt me if it comes back as accurate?
Also, how long does it take to come back as verified or not?

Message Edited by cathrynsmama on 05-18-2007 10:06 AM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually disputing as "inaccurate" suffices. You don't need to get super specific because they don't care, your story or explanation is meaningless to the CRA. They are required to investigate either way. Unfortunately, it's a long process. Look for fresh copies of your credit reports in the mail within 4 to 5 weeks which will include the dispute info and any changes made by the CRA. And no....being verified as accurate won't hurt you. You have the right to challenge inaccuracies under the FCRA and they can't penalize you for it.

Message Edited by devhip on 05-18-2007 10:17 AM
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I select "No knowledge of account", that will suffice? Cool beans. Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"no knowledge" would be fine cuz it doesn't say that you feel you don't owe the debt - it basically just says 'verify that it's accurate'. However you are going to find that as a general rule of thumb there isn't much verifying done. They just contact the CA and they will say you still owe the money and then it will (most of the time) appear as verified on your CR. I would personally first - opt out then - get as many old name versions and old addys deleted and then I would send a validation to the CA and see what happens next. From my experience the ones that are paid usually don't put up a fight and will delete the acct. Also I would start a small line of credit for a positive TL. I don't know the rules about posting which ones are better or worse so I won't add my 2 cents worth on that issue. GOOD LUCK!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have to verify it either way. Just get 'em sent, that's the important part. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by devhip on 05-18-2007 10:34 AM
Message 9 of 12
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

They gotcha for the library book, huh?  I guess it's curtains for me!  (Lord where did I put that book!)  Anyway, been there and done that, after the birth of our disabled child, everything got placed on hold, and slid down hill faster than the lid of trash can on an iced over snowbank!  I thought it was hopeless, but little by little, month by month, and over the course of the past 4 years ....  Smiley Happy  Take heart, then.  Everyone's giving you good advise.  Dispute, validate and dig in.  Actually, your amounts aren't too bad, so depending upon your income, you should be able to cut a few deals and be free and clear before too terribly long.  In the meantime -- and this is just me, and I don't know as much as some, but I'd wait for the debt validations to come back before applying for any sort of credit card, the reasoning being that perhaps some of your unknowns won't be verified and will drop off your reports.  Once you know what you're up against, and have made payment arrangements or conquerred some of these, and have established a few months worth of payment history, try for Orchard Bank, though some would disagree. Bank of America has  a program too.  99/500.  You put in $99 and they give you $500 in credit. Wish I would have known about that, at the time.  Live and learn, as they say.

Anyway,  I went with First Premier, and though on a $200 credit limit there were $160 worth of start up fees, they've been good to me.  Reported promptly to the CRAs, raised my limits according to how I paid them, not what my credit scores were, etc.  They even lowered my interest recently to 9.9%, down from 19, and raised my limit to $400, and even though I maxed out twice and was over the limit once.  It's easy to do when it's Christmas and your limit is only $200, and you have a $39 yearly fee that gets tacked on.  But they pre-notify you of that.  My husband went with Orchard, and had no complaints there either. Charge little and pay on time and you'll re-establish yourself.  Even your baddies will improve once on time payments appear on your reports.  It took our scores about 6 months to begin to improve, and it was rough, but, well worth the struggle.  Even with collections on your reports and lates, on time payments add up and improve your score.  You should be able to get to 600 or better within the year. 

I don't know what others may suggest but for me, it helps to tackle the smaller debts first with as much over the minimum as you can send, while  paying the larger debts, the minimums.  Once the smaller debts are paid off, you can take that money and add it to the larger amounts, paying more on the smaller of the larger amounts until they're paid off.  This way your balances decrease but so does the interest you're being charged.  For every debt you pay off you don't owe another dime in interest, so you've  saved money.  It's just never worked for me to send everyone a little of this and a little of that.  The interest kept accruing.  

There are a whole lot  of far  more knowledgable people in here who might be able to offer better advise, than I,  and I trust they will. Smiley Happy  The important thing is that you are tackling your debt, and so have indeed already begun.

Message Edited by MercyMe on 05-18-2007 06:00 PM
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.