Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pledge Loan and Payment Debate before it reports on credit report

tag
NightTrader
Valued Member

Pledge Loan and Payment Debate before it reports on credit report

All I was advised by a Navy Federal Rep not to pay on my pledge loan before it reports on my credit report.  The idea is not to have the loan report at 100% of the loan value so my score will not fall as much (currently rebuilding score near 700 now).  

The rep claims the balance of the loan will be inaccurate if I pay before the loan reports on my credit report.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I thought the balance of the loan is the balance of the loan regardless of when you pay it.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Pledge Loan and Payment Debate before it reports on credit report

Let it report before you make any moves. Once it reports. Then pay it to <8.99%. Let it ride out to the end. Make a $1 payment every couple months for activity. The reps really dont know what your up to. All they need to know you wanted a loan to build credit. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it reports at 100% this month and you make a payment, and updates to 50% next month, or it reports with 50% on the first month. I dont think there is a big difference, unless you are about to apply for a car loan or a mortgage or etc right away. I would rather report at 100% then pay it down, and report with the new balance following month.

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NightTrader wrote:

All I was advised by a Navy Federal Rep not to pay on my pledge loan before it reports on my credit report.  The idea is not to have the loan report at 100% of the loan value so my score will not fall as much (currently rebuilding score near 700 now).  

The rep claims the balance of the loan will be inaccurate if I pay before the loan reports on my credit report.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I thought the balance of the loan is the balance of the loan regardless of when you pay it.  Thoughts?

The rep is wrong. Pay it down as fast as possible.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it reports at 100% this month and you make a payment, and updates to 50% next month, or it reports with 50% on the first month. I dont think there is a big difference, unless you are about to apply for a car loan or a mortgage or etc right away. I would rather report at 100% then pay it down, and report with the new balance following month.

There is a difference. Its the util %. Even though its a so called pledge loan. Its a SSL loan. You want to get below 8% for the best scoring ASAP. Ive been thru 2 SSL's with Alliant and NFCU. Its to gain pts if you dont have any other installment loans. It helped me get to FICO 9 auto score 779 to get the truck below. Its closed now since the car loan is considered an installment loan.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.