cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get new HP while all credit reports frozen?

tag
yourficouser
Contributor

Possible to get new HP while all credit reports frozen?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - is it possible to get a new hard pull when one has all 3 credit reports frozen?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Possible to get new HP while all credit reports frozen?

No. That's the whole point of freezing your reports. If you get one, it wasn't frozen.

Message 2 of 16
yourficouser
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

No. That's the whole point of freezing your reports. If you get one, it wasn't frozen.

I see. What about a lender with whom you have an existing relationship?

For example, if I have a Citibank credit card and apply for another Citibank credit card while all 3 of my credit reports are frozen, they cannot  do a hard pull?

Message 3 of 16
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Is there a reason that you would do that? Because it’s not a way to get around getting a hard pull. Your application just won’t go through. They’ll see that they can’t access your credit reports and ask you to unfreeze them.

Message 4 of 16
yourficouser
Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
Is there a reason that you would do that? Because it’s not a way to get around getting a hard pull. Your application just won’t go through. They’ll see that they can’t access your credit reports and ask you to unfreeze them.

I'm not planning on doing that. I just wanted to know what would happen - whether they could still do a hard pull in that situation or not.

Message 5 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, they cant pull in that situation, but again, dont apply with freeze in place. 

Message 6 of 16
yourficouser
Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

No, they cant pull in that situation, but again, dont apply with freeze in place. 

Got it. Thanks so much for your comments.

In that case, wouldn't it be useful to keep your reports frozen when requesting a credit limit increase, as you would know for sure that there would not be a hard pull?

Or is this a different situation where they could do a hard pull in some way?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 16
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I suppose that’s one way to ensure that a CLI won’t result in a HP. If it’s truly frozen, there should be no way around that. It’s for your protection.

Message 8 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@yourficouser wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

In that case, wouldn't it be useful to keep your reports frozen when requesting a credit limit increase, as you would know for sure that there would not be a hard pull?

Thanks!

If HP is required for CLI, you have to unfreeze, regardless of existing relationship with the lender

As far as soft CLI, some will not entertain it while CRs are frozen, while others have received them. 

I guess that would be lender specific. 

If HP is required for any reason, it's not a "different situation". The whole purpose of freeze is to prevent new accounts/HPs  and as a result, HPs are not possible while freeze is in effect even when new account situation is not applicable. 

Message 9 of 16
yourficouser
Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@yourficouser wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Thanks!

If HP is required for CLI, you have to unfreeze, regardless of existing relationship with the lender

As far as soft CLI, some will not entertain it while CRs are frozen, while others have received them. 

I guess that would be lender specific. 

If HP is required for any reason, it's not a "different situation". The whole purpose of freeze is to prevent new accounts/HPs  and as a result, HPs are not possible while freeze is in effect even when new account situation is not applicable. 

I see. Thanks for the input. It sounds like it should not be possible to get an HP on your account while your credit reports are frozen then, even if it is from a lender with whom you have an existing relationship (such as for as CLI).

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.