Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially a stupid question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Potentially a stupid question?

So BofA shows my credit score as 625. (Last updated on 9/19/17 by TransUnion.)

MyFico says my TU score is 708. (Last updated on 9/25/17.)

TransUnion Vantage 3.0 score says it's 733. (Updated on 9/25/17)

Chase says my Vantage 3.0 score from TU is 678. (Updated on 9/27/17)

So they're examples of same scoring system from a same credit bureau but provided by different institutions. Which one's more credible? If I were to apply for a card, which one should I keep in mind?

p.s. I want to app AMEX HHonors Surpass and I heard AMEX pulls Experian and this whole post could quite possibly become moot.

Experian's fico score match at 700 from both Experian and MyFico for me.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Potentially a stupid question?

MyFico is the most accurate.  Someone else in the past day or two posted that their BofA FICO was wayyyy lower than MyFico.  Who knows why.

Not all banks use FICO08 but no banks use VantageScore so throw those out.  If your bank uses FICO 08 (most do, some don't), then that's the score to go by.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That could've been me. LOL.

Thanks for the clarification.

Message 3 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Do you know which flavor of FICO is being provided by BOA? Is there something in BOA's description or documentation that explains it? Or does it match up to one of the FICOs that you get from myFICO? The reason I'd be curious is that the FICO8 obtained from myFICO is good while the BOA FICO leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I also think it's a bit odd that your two TU VantageScores are 50 points apart, although I woudn't elavate the VantageScore curiosity into concern.

AMEX pulls your FICO8 from Experian. From a scoring standpoint, you look good. If other aspects of your profile are in order, you shouldn't have any trouble being approved.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I explained in your other thread discussing the same topic, there's no "more credible" score or "better" score.  As I stated in that thread, there are 3 criteria that go into a credit score.  The scoring model used, the bureau data used and the point in time that the data was used.  If these 3 pieces of data are the same from 2 different providers of a score, the score will be the same.  If you are seeing different scores, 1 or more of these pieces of data are not the same.

Different scores don't make any of them more or less "accurate" than the next.  It just means they were generated using different criteria.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys. This credit thing is way more complicated than I thought it would be.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.