Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary account holder liability

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Primary account holder liability

My sister is considering adding me as an authorized user on her credit card but the fact that I have outstanding debt has her wondering if they can come after her account because I'm an authorized user. Thanks for any help 

6 REPLIES 6
Boss2Boss
New Contributor

Re: Primary account holder liability

No they can not. 

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Nope. Only the account holder is responsible for repaying debt. Authorized users are simply allowed to make charges. She'd be fine. They can't go after her for your debt.

Also, being added as an AU to her account may or may not help you because the CRA's anti-abuse algorithms sometimes flag and discard AUs who don't share the same address.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 Thanks for posting the "CRA's anti-abuse algorithms sometimes flag and discard AUs who don't share the same address" information as I was going to add my daughter to a couple of my credit cards to help her credit score -but- we don't share the same address . . . I want to add her as an AU only if it would help her!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

@OmarGB9 Thanks for posting the "CRA's anti-abuse algorithms sometimes flag and discard AUs who don't share the same address" information as I was going to add my daughter to a couple of my credit cards to help her credit score -but- we don't share the same address . . . I want to add her as an AU only if it would help her!!!

It's certainly still worth a try! Just pointing it out for future reference in case the AU account never shows up on the respective AU's credit reports.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 7
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

You should login to each issuer you have cards with and see what info they want to add an AU.  You can always close it out without adding.

About 50% only want name, age and it is very hit and miss that they end up with credit for the account.   The other 50% ask for Name, address, age, (** social security number **), much better chance of them having the account added.

Message 6 of 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

In my experience Amex, Chase,  and Discover are the best with this. They report regardless of address, relationship,  etc.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.