Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Lawsuits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Lawsuits

This account has already been settled, but I am still curious if what happened was legal.  I currently reside in D.C.  I was sued by Midland in December 07 for an old citibank account. They sued me in Massachusetts while I reside in D.C.  At the time I didnt really know anything about any of this. The debt was well passed the SOL at the time. I had called Midland and tried to settle. They told me verbally on the phone since I did not live in Mass, they would withdraw the suit and refile in D.C.  This did not happen. So the court awarded Midland what they were seeking since I no showed in court. I didnt even know I was being sued till 2 days before the court date since I did not live in Mass.  I ended up paying Midland....but the court awarded them $1400, and Midland refused that amount when I called to pay and would only take $1800. 

So I am assuming Midland had done several shady things here.  Its not a big deal now as it is paid, and not on my credit report any longer. But when I think back to it it still rubs me the wrong way.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About Lawsuits

You really need to speak with a consumer law attorney.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.