Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about settlements & judgements

tag
invza1
Valued Member

Question about settlements & judgements

Hello,

I got an offer from a collection agency to settle an old credit card debt. I have a judgement on my credit report from this credit card. What happens to the status of the judgement if I take the settlement offer? Should I take the settlement or pay it in full (because of the judgement)?

Thank you all in advance for any replies!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about settlements & judgements

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is the debt?  My guess, it is very old and has been sold around a few times for almost nothing to junk debt buyers.  If they get you pay anything they make out well.  Worse, it can have the added risk of them re-aging the debt on your credit reports (which is a violation of the FCRA that you would have to fight).

I personally have never seen a PFD (pay for delete) on an actual judgment because after the judgment is old (read: non-collectible) the creditor or agency that got the judgment just sells it.

I could be wrong and maybe it will work - please keep us posted.  But please be very careful so you do not accidentally reaffirm the debt or encourage them to re-age it with the bureaus.

Message Edited by DionLawOffice on 06-13-2007 06:53 PM
Message 3 of 4
Eric958
Established Contributor

"MY" experience says that if you pay anyone other then the company who was awarded the judgment, The Judgment stays! At the most you can get it changed to a paid judgment.To get a judgment removed it must be VACATED BY THE PARTIES INVOLVED.{whoever was awarded the judgment}But as I said, This is my experience. E!

Never Give Up!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.