Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on credit inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on credit inquiries

@AnonymousSo I ended up doing the credit limit increase over the phone with him, then applied for the premier Plus card online myself.

So as far as I’m aware, I didn’t apply for any “new” credit, just an increase to spending limit on an existing line.

To BBS’s point, yes, I believe it was a product change. Before I applied online, I did ask the rep some questions before doing so. He verified it be the same account and even stated my credit card number wouldn’t even change.

I'm still confused here and if I'm the only one I apolgize to those that are reading this.  You said above that you applied for a card / you apped online.  That is applying for "new" credit.  A new app = a new product, so to me that doesn't sound like a product change.  I product change is usually done through a CS rep and from my experience doesn't involve any sort of application.  Are you saying that you did both an application for a new product and a PC at the same time? 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m pretty sure it is not considered new credit, at least, I hope not. Before I applied for the upgrade online, I specifically asked him if my old account would close and be replaced by a new account. And I specified my concerns were in regard to my credit rating, and seeing as though the current account was my oldest account, I wanted to be sure it wasn’t losing it. He said it would be the same account, showing the same origination date, and even the same credit card number. Here is a copy of the email response to my application from chase. If you read the final sentence, it refers to the upgrade as a product change.

“We received your request to upgrade to the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card. As long as you continue to meet our credit criteria, your upgrade request will be approved and your new benefits will take effect in up to 4 business days.

Your account number will remain the same.

We'll send your new card along with your new Rewards Program Rules and Regulations. You will also receive a letter explaining the new annual fee,
when it will apply, and a statement of your right to reject the change to your product and the associated annual fee to be charged.”

My main concern is whether or not their inquiry was a hard inquiry. And assuming it was, would they count as as distinct from the hard inquiry from my CLI request. Time will tell though,
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My main concern is whether or not their inquiry was a hard inquiry. And assuming it was, would they count as as distinct from the hard inquiry from my CLI request. Time will tell though,

In an earlier post you mentioned needing to wait for a few months before you can get a free report.  You are right that you discovering whether these two CC-related events have resulted in 0, 1 or 2 hard inquiries is best done by looking at your reports.

But there are a lot of free tools out there that will give you frequent credit reports.  So you don't need to wait for a few months to find out the answer.

If you are not a member of Credit Karma I'd start with them.  They will give you your EQ and TU reports.  If there is a chance that the issuer might have used EX, you can get that report at creditscore.com.  All these options are free and do not affect the number of free annual reports you can get from annualCreditReport.com.

I would wait till Tues just to be sure that the inquiries are on the report.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.