Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected for a credit card I didn’t apply for

tag
betterdays2011
Contributor

Rejected for a credit card I didn’t apply for

I just got a rejection letter from Citibank for a card I didn't apply for. Definitely in pay debt down not credit acquisition mode. 
any thoughts or advice is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rejected for a credit card I didn’t apply for

@betterdays2011 wrote:

I just got a rejection letter from Citibank for a card I didn't apply for. Definitely in pay debt down not credit acquisition mode. 

If I were you I'd contact Citibank.  Do you have any accounts with them?  How were you notified of the denial?  I'd also check whatever tools you're using to monitor your credit to see about any hard inquiries to your file.  You may have some identity theft issues occurring.  Good luck on resolving this.

Message 2 of 13
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Just reread your post and saw you received a letter...no need to respond that that part of my post.

Message 3 of 13
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Definitely check your accounts and reports as it sounds like there could be some attempted fraud. Looks like it would be a good idea to freeze your reports as well with each of the bureaus.

Message 4 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@betterdays2011 wrote:

This smacks of fraud! You're lucky you caught it this way, rather than having multiple credit cards issued in your name--like I did a few years ago. Contact Citi immediately and tell them what happened. They'll probably transfer you right away to the fraud department. If you have accounts with them, you should get them reissued with new numbers--they'll probably suggest that, but if they don't be sure to ask. And definitely check your credit reports for recent inquiries.

If this isn't fraud.... I have no idea what happened!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Contact Citibank ASAP and advise them that you had not applied for credit.

Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com and pull copies of your report from all 3 major CRAs.

Contact your local police and have them file a report that someone else applied for credit in your name.

Contact whichever CRA(s) that Citibank hard pulled and file disputes to have the hard pull(s) withdrawn on the basis that the application was fraudulent - this is why you need to contact the police and have them file a report.   They will notify the other CRAs; all 3 of them should place fraud alerts on your credit report.  

Having a fraud alert will trigger additional verification steps to be taken by lenders if (you or) someone else attempts to obtain credit in your name.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@betterdays2011 wrote:

Hey there @betterdays2011 

99% sure it's an attempt of fraud.

Lock down your reports - let us know.

Message 7 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@betterdays2011, definitely contact Citi as it appears that someone has applied for credit in your name. I'd also consider locks or freezes on your reports.

Was there an inquiry associated with this application?

Message 8 of 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@betterdays2011 wrote:

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Got the letter in the mail saying congratulations on your new PayPal Visa. "EXCUSE ME?" HP on EQ that I never could get rid of, had to lock my credit reports for a period of time and canceled the card issuance.

Please put a lock on your reports and petition Citi to have the CRAs remove any inqs that happened as a result.

GL

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Freezes are preferable to locks, partly because while a lock is a private agreement between yourself and the CRA credit freezes are a construct created by US federal law for which compliance is mandatory with penalties for failure to comply.

When fraud is involved and the crime has been reported to police as documented by the existence of a police report the CRAs will accept disputes filed with them directly by the victim requesting withdrawal of the relevant inquiry or inquiries.  In this case contacting Citi is as much about gathering details about what transpired as anything else.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.