cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing authorized user from one of my cards. Will it remove it from their report?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Removing authorized user from one of my cards. Will it remove it from their report?

Quick question guys. 

I have an authorized user on one of my credit cards, but I nor the person use this card any more. 

I am planning to start using it, but do not want to mess up the auth user's credit by now showing a balance they don't even own. 

I was wondering, if I call my credit card company to have the authorized user removed and that card cancelled before they report the next time to the bureaus, will they also remove the card from the credit reports or will they just never update again and leave the zero balance it has now?

Let's say this card reports on the 15th of Sept and I call to have them close it on Sept 1st, or anytime befer the 15th. 

This is capital one, by the way. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Removing authorized user from one of my cards. Will it remove it from their report?

This may vary by issuer, but chase told me that once an AU is removed, the balance will stop updating, but the account can stay on for aging for up to 10 years. Since in my case I was removing the AU because it had a high balance and that was affected the other person's score, they also offered the option of removing it entirely from the AU's report which we did and it totally disappeared.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 7
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Re: Removing authorized user from one of my cards. Will it remove it from their report?

@FlaDude wrote:

This may vary by issuer, but chase told me that once an AU is removed, the balance will stop updating, but the account can stay on for aging for up to 10 years. Since in my case I was removing the AU because it had a high balance and that was affected the other person's score, they also offered the option of removing it entirely from the AU's report which we did and it totally disappeared.

Thank you for replying!

So, I might just remove now that it has no balance and even though they won't update any more, the AUT used will still get the benefit of having an available credit line with years of history to their benefit? Or will it hurt them or just be like nothing is there since maybe now FICOs are not considering these tradelines for scoring? 

Interesting,. thanks

Message 3 of 7
FlaDude
Established Contributor

It seems to me the only way it would hurt is if it was the oldest account or adding needed age and it were to be removed entirely from their report. In your case, I'd say best to remove now before you start reporting a balance.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Quick question guys. 

I have an authorized user on one of my credit cards, but I nor the person use this card any more. 

I am planning to start using it, but do not want to mess up the auth user's credit by now showing a balance they don't even own. 

I was wondering, if I call my credit card company to have the authorized user removed and that card cancelled before they report the next time to the bureaus, will they also remove the card from the credit reports or will they just never update again and leave the zero balance it has now?

Let's say this card reports on the 15th of Sept and I call to have them close it on Sept 1st, or anytime befer the 15th. 

Thanks

I have about 6 Cap 1 cards where I was the AU and my spouse has about the same from me.   All accounts report a zero balance no matter what the actual balance is and stop updating as of the termination date -- so the cards will stay on file for 10 years and give you the benefit of the accounts aging.   If there were late payments that occurred after someone became an AU, just dispute it off.   Otherwise leave it alone.   It will say "terminated" under account holder, which is not derogatory - it's just the term they use.

Message 5 of 7
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Quick question guys. 

Thanks

I have about 6 Cap 1 cards where I was the AU and my spouse has about the same from me.   All accounts report a zero balance no matter what the actual balance is and stop updating as of the termination date -- so the cards will stay on file for 10 years and give you the benefit of the accounts aging.   If there were late payments that occurred after someone became an AU, just dispute it off.   Otherwise leave it alone.   It will say "terminated" under account holder, which is not derogatory - it's just the term they use.

really, they reported zero balance if you as the account holder made charges and reported zero on the Auth user's credit? Would this mean that they report what they Auth user spent only on that card as if they were the account owners? 

Message 6 of 7
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Forgot to ask, but if you remove the auth user, will the available credit on that card not count any more for the overall available credit on your credit profile? Or it becomes just a benefit on the age of the account front only? thanks

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Quick question guys. 

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.