Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned cc payment due to wrong account help

tag
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Returned cc payment due to wrong account help

I am worried about my Amazon Prime Store Card account by Synchrony Bank will be closed because of a second returned payment in a year. But the reason for the return is different than the NSF payment made on 3/25/19.

On October 17 I entered in what I thought was the correct account number for my new TD Ameritrade cash management bank account. It was instead the number to my TD brokerage account. I honestly thought they were linked to the same account because I never was given the actual cash management account number when I opened it a few weeks prior. It is nowhere on the website nor did it display in an email or the website when I opened it. When I talked to TD Ameritrade today the clerk said it was on the checks which I haven't received yet in the mail but did give me the whole number when I asked. So it was trying to pull funds from a brokerage account. The amount of $29.77 was in there but never debited correctly. Luckily I am not late on the payment as I have 2 more days and only owe 7 cents for the min. I feel this was an honest mistake and had I had the correct info in the first place this wouldn't have happened.

Currently though the account is on a temporary security block that I put on and am waiting for a code to come in the mail. So the account rep cannot tell me if this will affect me negatively or not. I don't want the account closed and since this has happened before I know it may only happen after the interest comes due at the start of the next billing cycle. The first time this happened I had my US bank rep that I know write a letter claiming it was a bank error. Is this considered a bank error? I felt I should have been more clearly informed by TD Ameritrade of the actual cash management account number. I have had nothing but a good payment history with all 4 of my Synchrony Bank cards in the last year and a half with the whole time I had them and am a real honest paying customer. Are they able to cut me some slack on this? Would TD help prove the correct number wasn't given to me if it's necessary for them to help prevent the account from being closed? PLease let me know. I think about these credit cards every day and am committed to paying them off responsibly as much as possible.

This link below tells that a wrong account entered isn't a big deal compared to NSF. Is that really the case?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Returned-payment-due-to-wrong-account-number/td-p/3363...
As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Returned cc payment due to wrong account help

Keep in mind that the referenced link is from 2014. Lots of internal policies change over the years. Unfortunately, if SYNCB decides to close the account there's not much that can be done.

Ultimately, you can plead your case in the event closure is imminent, but whether it was NSF or a returned payment, lenders view it as a bad risk regardless, especially if two instances occurred on your account within a 6-12 month period.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To address the bank error question, no, this would not be a bank error unless the bank was the one that input the wrong account information, which wasn’t the case.
Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:
I am worried about my Amazon Prime Store Card account by Synchrony Bank will be closed because of a second returned payment in a year. But the reason for the return is different than the NSF payment made on 3/25/19.

On October 17 I entered in what I thought was the correct account number for my new TD Ameritrade cash management bank account. It was instead the number to my TD brokerage account. I honestly thought they were linked to the same account because I never was given the actual cash management account number when I opened it a few weeks prior. It is nowhere on the website nor did it display in an email or the website when I opened it. When I talked to TD Ameritrade today the clerk said it was on the checks which I haven't received yet in the mail but did give me the whole number when I asked. So it was trying to pull funds from a brokerage account. The amount of $29.77 was in there but never debited correctly. Luckily I am not late on the payment as I have 2 more days and only owe 7 cents for the min. I feel this was an honest mistake and had I had the correct info in the first place this wouldn't have happened.

Currently though the account is on a temporary security block that I put on and am waiting for a code to come in the mail. So the account rep cannot tell me if this will affect me negatively or not. I don't want the account closed and since this has happened before I know it may only happen after the interest comes due at the start of the next billing cycle. The first time this happened I had my US bank rep that I know write a letter claiming it was a bank error. Is this considered a bank error? I felt I should have been more clearly informed by TD Ameritrade of the actual cash management account number. I have had nothing but a good payment history with all 4 of my Synchrony Bank cards in the last year and a half with the whole time I had them and am a real honest paying customer. Are they able to cut me some slack on this? Would TD help prove the correct number wasn't given to me if it's necessary for them to help prevent the account from being closed? PLease let me know. I think about these credit cards every day and am committed to paying them off responsibly as much as possible.

This link below tells that a wrong account entered isn't a big deal compared to NSF. Is that really the case?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Returned-payment-due-to-wrong-account-number/td-p/3363...

IMHO you should take the self-inflicted security block off ASAP and just try to return the account to normal.

Some institutions will make a big deal out of it, some won't.

If yours does, then give them a call, explain what happened, and beg for mercy.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

IMHO you should take the self-inflicted security block off ASAP and just try to return the account to normal.

Some institutions will make a big deal out of it, some won't.

If yours does, then give them a call, explain what happened, and beg for mercy.

And when you beg for mercy, try your best not to blame everything else except yourself. Just say, "I know this has happened twice but it was an honest mistake. I feel so stupid that I input the wrong information. I have now corrected it and I can assure you it will never, ever happen again."

If groveling doesnt work, you will just have to chalk it up as a lesson learned. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 7
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Good news! A couple weeks ago I talked to somebody on the phone and they told me that my account would not get closed due to a wrong account number entered. I am very glad!
As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 6 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Go play the lottery. You lucked out. Congrats!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.