cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risk Factor: "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report" HUH?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Risk Factor: "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report" HUH?

Pardon my ignorance here, as I am a "newbie" (but I did a search on the terminology).  My FICO score shows only one risk factor: "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report".

Problem is I can't understand which account would be considered a "consumer finance" account.  I have ONLY mortgages and credit cards. I've never had any car loans, student loans, or ANYTHING else; no other credit accounts whatsoever.  Could someone please help me understand this?

Thanks to everyone in advance, I really appreciate the help!

P.S.  The only thing I could possibly think of is that when I purchased some houses, there are 2nd mortgages; but used for purchasing the houses, NOT taken out after I already owned them.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Risk Factor: "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report" HUH?

CFL are usually from places that have the word "Finance" or some variation in their name, but not always.

Wells Fargo Finance

CitiFinancial

etc

You mention CC, any of those from a furniture store or something similar?

Even though it is listed as a risk factor, there is no evidence that your score is actually dinged for it and if your score does take a ding, the payment history, age of account, etc outweighs the bad.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Risk Factor: "You have a consumer finance account on your credit report" HUH?

Sidewinder, thank you for your prompt reply!  All my cards are from "normal" credit card companies, no furniture stores or department stores, etc.

I also don't have any loans with any entity that has "finance" in thier name. The only loans I have are just the "purchase money" mortgages that I mentioned. Any other ideas why this message comes up?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any other explanation and will do some checking.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sidewinder, I really appreciate your help!  THANK YOU!

I should clarify one thing - in my prior message, I mentioned the "purchase money" mortgages. These mortgages were initiated upon the purchase of the houses, not refinance second mortgages.  They were "80-10-10" purchases. (10% cash down payment, 80% purchase money 1st mortgages, and 10% purchase money 2nd mortgages.)

I hope this helps clarify things a bit, as the only thing that I can possibly think of is if somehow those second mortgages were being interpreted by the bureau(s) as consumer finance loans.  I can't think of anything else, but that is where I am drawing on your expertise (and others if they pipe in here?).

Thanks SO much once again!

Message 5 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see why a PMM would report as a CFL, unless, of course, it's from one of those "financial" places.

On your myfico reports look in the accounts screen and see if any of those accounts have the little "hobo bag" next to it. EQ has a lot of my accounts with these bags next to it. I think that is one of the designations for the CFL.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what appears next to my consumer finance accounts.

Message 7 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

sidewinder wrote:

This is what appears next to my consumer finance accounts.

Other Account Other Account Educators Cu Racine

It also appears on accounts that are not CFL, as noted above.  This was a signature loan thru my local CU!

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
mamalawery
New Contributor

might be a line of credit acct.
***I was an app addict, and I'm not ashamed to say it!***
Message 9 of 10
User131

bump.  I saw a report with no finance companies whatsoever on it, but a "FICO®
 Brand Score from Equifax" , supplied via DCU.org, still shows a reason code with the same wording as the OPs.

This particular report has a small student loan, a couple of equity lines of credit, a few personal lines of credit (all prime though), and no car loans or open mortgages.

Would appreciate any comments by the learned ones at Equifax, or anyone else with direct knowledge of what may be going on here. TIA.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.