Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Curious Credit Card Scenario

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[SOLVED] Curious Credit Card Scenario

TOPIC IS SOLVED

You owe $3.45 on a credit card, go off on a holiday vacation trip and forget to pay the credit card on time. Does the credit card company still charge $25-$35 late fee? You already had a late fee waived in the last 6 months.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Curious Credit Card Scenario

Probably, but you can always ask I suppose.  Just be prepared to be gracious.  Far more important is getting them if possible to agree to not report your account for being late to the three credit bureaus.  The bad report is ultimately far more serious than a late fee.

Note that if you had your credit cards all set up on autopay (automatically pay at least the minimum payment each month) then neither of your two lates could have happened.  Just food for thought for the future.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll clarify the question. The only thing I'm curious about is If they charged you the late fee, they will not reduce the late fee simply because the debt you owed is merely $3.00. They will still charge you the $25-$35 late fee, correct?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very likely, in my opinion, but I don't know.  There are hundreds of credit card companies and none of them has to handle it the same way.  Asking the CCC is probably your best bet.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There are hundreds of credit card companies and none of them has to handle it the same way.  

That is why I elimated the scenario by stating that the person already had a fee waived in the last 6 months. Anyhow, regardless of how many credit card companies are out there and their procedures, I am not looking for an opinion but rather an answer from someone who knows. Thanks for you voluntary opinion anyhow. It is the most obvious, but I am looking for facts.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa, ease up, hostile man!  Just doing my best to help as best I can.

You are aware that you are, without naming what the credit card company might be, asking for someone here to tell you what the company's policy is.  I am just letting you know that different companies could very well handle it differently. 

Anyhow, very best wishes and I hope everything works out well for you.  Good luck.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Just doing my best to help as best I can."

I'm looking for facts, actual occurence, not an opinion. Again, thanks for your obvious opinion but that is not what I am looking for.

Message 7 of 15
ddemari
Super Contributor

are u talking about Discover and their late payment forgiveness? i believe it only applies to the first time it happens. live and learn kind of thing. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

are u talking about Discover and their late payment forgiveness? i believe it only applies to the first time it happens. live and learn kind of thing. 

I'm curious if any credit card company charges you a reduced late fee if the amount due is very small (for example, a balace of $3.00), or will they charge you the full late fee of $25.00-$35.00?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking for facts, actual occurence, not an opinion. Again, thanks for you obvious opinion but that is not what I am looking for.

You should chill out a bit.  You asked a question and someone kindly tried to respond to you and you have been nothing but rude in return.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.