Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saks Fraudulent Hard Pull Crédit Inquiry

tag
finfree
Regular Contributor

Saks Fraudulent Hard Pull Crédit Inquiry

I have solid FICO scores, but my TransUnion report shows that in May of 2017 Saks Fifth Ave (now owned by HBC) did a hard pull on my TransUnion CR. I didn’t authorize this, and have had no credit relationship with Saks since 2009 when I voluntarily closed my Saks credit card account. Getting this HP removed has been a nightmare. I know that in just a few months (at the 1 year mark) it will stop impacting my FICO score but, nonetheless, I want the inquiry removed because it was done fraudulently. In any event, after *many* hours on the phone, and multiple letters and e-mails, I obtained the direct dial number of someone who is supposed to arrange for the deletion. If anyone else is in this situation with Saks I can provide the name and direct dial number if needed.

Starting Score (October 7, 2010): EQ: 698 TU: 709
Interim Score: EQ (October 21, 2010): 714 TU (November 2, 2010): 732
More Recent Interim Score: (March 14, 2018- all FICO8): TU: 831: EQ: 824: EX: 827
Goal Score: 850 all

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Saks Fraudulent Hard Pull Crédit Inquiry

@finfree wrote:
I have solid FICO scores, but my TransUnion report shows that in May of 2017 Saks Fifth Ave (now owned by HBC) did a hard pull on my TransUnion CR. I didn’t authorize this, and have had no credit relationship with Saks since 2009 when I voluntarily closed my Saks credit card account. Getting this HP removed has been a nightmare. I know that in just a few months (at the 1 year mark) it will stop impacting my FICO score but, nonetheless, I want the inquiry removed because it was done fraudulently. In any event, after *many* hours on the phone, and multiple letters and e-mails, I obtained the direct dial number of someone who is supposed to arrange for the deletion. If anyone else is in this situation with Saks I can provide the name and direct dial number if needed.

The first thing you should do is contact Saks Credit customer service.  The credit side is partially managed by Saks and the rest managed by CapitalOne.  If an unauthorized application was completed ensure no accounts were established.  If any were, have them shut down.  They're also obliged to send you a copy of the application.  When you get it, make a copy for your own records as the original will be used in the next step.  Contact your local police to fill out a police report.  Obtain a copy of the police report and send it to the bureaus.  It's at that point where they'll remove the INQ and issue a 7 year fraud alert.

Message 2 of 13
finfree
Regular Contributor

Thanks but Saks claims they no longer have the application and therefore cannot send a copy to me or to TransUnion (unbelievable as this was only in April 2017, less than a year ago). This afternoon, through the contact I mentioned, I received a copy of their letter to TransUnion requesting the deletion. I already faxed it to TransUnion. I have a 90 day fraud alert and a lock on my credit report. I may request a freeze and a permanent fraud alert. Thanks!

More Recent Interim Score: (March 14, 2018- all FICO8): TU: 831: EQ: 824: EX: 827

Message 3 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

Do you have any family members who's name is close to yours?  I would assume that the app was denied because if it was approved, there would be a account under your name, SSN, and address unlesss they assigned it to someone else.  Could be ID theft so I would wtach my CR like a hawk since no ccredit monitoring service is foolproof.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 13
finfree
Regular Contributor

Nope- no family members with a similar name. I now monitor my reports daily. I’ve become a bit obsessed since discovering two fraudulent hard pulls-one TU and a Verizon on EQ. As far as I can tell (and I did inquire) no accounts were opened. I am working toward 850 across the board scores (silly, I realize) and want to protect the scores I have.

Message 5 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Does Saks assert that someone used your identity, and thus they had permissible purpose to make the inquiry?

They must, when making the inquiry, provide the basis, such as a consumer initiated request for credit.

If they assert permissible purpose and you assert you never made any request for credit, then you can pursue removal by use of the identity theft process under FCRA 605B, which permits you to block the information from any subsequent credit reports using a police report without any involvement of the creditor.

However, if they obtained the report knowing that they had no request for credit from the consumer, and thus no permissible purpose, they are subject to prosecution and/or civil action and CFPB complaint under the FCRA.  

If they knowingly made an inquriy without any permissible purpose, you can send a notice of intent to sue if they dont remove within x-days.

If they admit that they no longer have any documentation to contest a civil action, they may fold.

However, they can decline to rescind their inquiry, and choose to face your civil action.

Message 6 of 13
finfree
Regular Contributor

Saks seems to not be asserting anything as they claim they no longer have the application. They accept my claim that I never applied and are requesting deletion.

Message 7 of 13
finfree
Regular Contributor

Just a follow-up- my unauthorized Saks hard pull credit inquiry has now been deleted from my TransUnion report thanks to my fax dispute attaching a letter from Saks.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello: Can you please provide me with the direct telephone number of the person from SAKS who can delete unauthorized inquiries. Thanks!
Message 9 of 13
finfree
Regular Contributor

I no longer have a direct phone number, but I do still have an e-mail contact <mod redacted>

Mod note:  Sorry, direct contact info isn't permitted in posts.  --UB

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.