Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae Loan

I've got an issue that I'm not getting anywhere with.  We got a loan from Sallie Mae (SM) in 8/2005 for my daughter to attend Sylvan.  They approved us for $4,600, which I assumed was funded to Sylvan at that time and was to be used for us to draw against.  We didn't have much luck with Sylvan and she only attended for less than 4 months - using only about  $2,600 of the approved funds.  Our payments started in August 2005 at are $88 per month.  We have now made 17 payments - all on time and in full.  Here's the problem:

Last summer, I pulled a credit report and saw that the SM loan was reporting the original amount as $4,600, but the balance owed as $4,800 (after paying for 1 year).  I called SM and they said that they had added insurance of $368 to the loan.  Okay.... that still doesn't put us at $4,800!  They never explained anything.... and I got busy and forgot.  Now this week I pulled again and low and behold (now after 17 payments) my balance is $4,700!!!!!!  I have called SM and no one gives me an answer.  I have called Sylvan and no one gives me an answer!  Who do I call next?

Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, what do you do about it?  Also, how bad do you think this is reflecting in my FICO score?

Thanks for any info!

TJones

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
yoreljm
New Contributor

Read the terms and look over the statements. Find out how...

Read the terms and look over the statements. Find out how much they are charging in interest! You could have just been paying interest and fancy insurance! Was there an "origination" fee or any prepayment penalty?
Did they tell how many payments you will have to make AND the total financial charge if you follow that payment schedule? All these are important in understanding why the balance is so high.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You sound like you have some experience with this!  Pleas...

You sound like you have some experience with this!  Please enlighten me, if you don't mind.  I just pulled the payoff amount and it shows $4,700!!!!!  I am astounded and would like as much information as possible before I call them.  Is this a particular scam they use?  They said something last year about $368 worth of insurance but I understood her to mean that was for the length of the loan.  Our interest is 15% (I know.. outrageous...).  Any info you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 4
yoreljm
New Contributor

The payoff amount of $4700 means that if you wrote a chec...

The payoff amount of $4700 means that if you wrote a check for that amount and gave to them right now, the loan will be paid off. Basically, that is what you would pay if you paid it off right NOW.

But you probably dont have the money right now, so here is what you do:

First, you need to crunch the numbers to see that the loan is costing you:

If your interest rate is 15% (0.15), then they divide that by 365 (the number of days in the year) to get: 0.00041. Now everyday your balance is multiplied my that number. So, on the first day, it is 4700 X 0.00041=4701.93. on day 2, it is 4701.93 X 0.00041=4703.86. etc.

Basically this boils down to your bill going up by about $60 per month. So, every time you pay $88, they add on about $60. Because of this, it is easy to pay forever without budging the balance.

When you add on insurance and stuff on there it becomes even higher, because insurance can be something like 2% of your balance at the end of every month (which would work out to be another 24% per month!).

If I were you, I would call and tell them to take off the insurance (insurance is to pay for the loan if you die, but if you die, you probably won't care about the loan. It may also make it so that you don't have to make payments (but the intrest would incur) if you become unemployed or sick).

The next thing is to ask them what is the total cost of the loan based on the current payments schedule and interest rate. The amount will make you gasp.

The next step is to make bigger payments (like $470) so that you can pay off the loan quicker.

In they 10000000 pages of fine prints, they tell you how interest and stuff are calculated. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Here is a sample student loan payment schedule: not that the total cost of the loan is the principal PLUS the finance charge: http://simpletuition.educatedborrower.com/inline/gradrepayment.html
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.