cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School Loan Goodwill Letter Worked!!! :-)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

School Loan Goodwill Letter Worked!!! :-)

I sent a goodwill letter to U.S. Department of Education to have some late payments removed - four times in all in 2001 and 2003.  I just got an alert from TrueCredit saying information on the account had changed and its all positive now! YAY!  I still have about 5-6 letters out there without responses so hopefully I'll have some success with those as well.

Thanks everyone for all of the help you provide!
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
jenkins
Frequent Contributor

Re: School Loan Goodwill Letter Worked!!! :-)

can i get more info because i have a student loan with a 90 date late that ive been trying to get removed.  what company was the loan with can i get some more info? thanks alot and congratz on that.

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

What company did you have them updated from?
Message 3 of 48
RAISEUP
Regular Contributor

Hey DOODOO
Sounds great, you mine sharing the letter:Man Wink

From avg FICO score 453-602 in a 10 months....

~~~
Transunion 652 | 3/27/09-677 | 5/20-09 -683
Equifax 4/21/08 -609 | 5/4/08-632 | 12/26-08- 651 | 5/5/09 - 652
Experian 4/16/08- 613 | 11/08 - 646 | 3/27/09-673
~~~
Message 4 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting ready to send one to Direct Loans too for some lates in 2002.  I would love to see your letter!!

Thanks!
Message 5 of 48
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

yes what comapany...I have sallie mae and they said they would remove them
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you post what you wrote in the letter? I am curious--GW has never worked with my student loan providers...they are really hard to work with in my experience
Message 7 of 48
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

i am sorry they said they wouldn't remove it...
Message 8 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

who did you send the letter to? I got rejected trying to remove a 60day late period (my account was in forbearance, no payment was due). do you have the contact information? thanks

Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my goodwill letter and it was sent to the U.S. Department of Education:

Dear Sir/Madam:

From 1992 until 1996, I attended _____________University.  I am extremely grateful to __________ Loan Company for providing me the financial means to earn a __________ degree and finally fulfill my dream of becoming a (your profession).  I really enjoyed my experience at  ___________ University and intend to remain active as an alumni through volunteer activities and regular donations. The reason that I am writing is to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to TRANSUNION, EQUIFAX and EXPERIAN credit reporting agencies. I have ___________ late payments on the above referenced account that date back to ______________. I am in the process of applying for my first mortgage and your removal of these late payments would assist me in receiving the lowest interest rate available.

Because of my good payment history since the last late payment was reported, I would like you to consider removing the negative payments from my credit report. At the time of the late payments, I was in the process of changing jobs and moving – which is why the late payments occurred. I say this not to justify why the payments were late, but rather to show that the late payments are not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that ____________ Loan Company is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.  I know that you have assisted people that have defaulted on their students loans by removing the default notation from their credit histories and I think that is wonderful.  However, since I did not default but was late __________ times, I am hoping that you can extend similar consideration to me. I am not trying to minimize my wrongful conduct - but just emphasizing that although I was going through a difficult financial period, I still made an effort to submit payments instead of just not submitting them at all.

I hope that you will deeply consider my request. I look forward to your reply.

Message Edited by dooodooo on 08-10-2007 12:47 PM
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.