cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 20 pts due to name change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped 20 pts due to name change?

I just received an alert from myfico that my score dropped 20 pts because my last name was updated from my maiden name to my current last name...I’ve been married over two years and why would this make your score drop?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: Score dropped 20 pts due to name change?

Where'd you get your scores? (If the answer is Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, this conversation is pointless. Those aren't useful scores, and no one is studying them to figure out what makes them go up/down.)

Do you still have access to both the old report and the new report? (Go over them with a fine tooth comb. I mean everything, dates reported, late payments, balances, number of accounts, dispute notices.)

You'll find it, it's in there.

It is not your name change, unless that caused your file to go wonky and lose one or more accounts out of your history. (I'm not saying this is likely, it could also be a sun spot, but I'm not betting on either.)

Also, I can't count the number of times 

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay to get my score from myfico...I called equifax and they don't see anything that's changed. The alert about the point decrease was through myfico.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you change your name to Madoff?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just received an alert from myfico that my score dropped 20 pts because my last name was updated from my maiden name to my current last name...I’ve been married over two years and why would this make your score drop?

Your score did not drop from a name change.  That's an impossibility.  What happened is that you received an alert stating that something changed on your credit report (your name).  Along with that alert, you are provided with a new score.  The new score (whether it goes up or down) many times has nothing to do with the alert you received.  This 100% is the case with your situation here. 

Something else changed on your credit report that caused a 20 point score drop.  It could be an increase in utilization, number of cards reporting balances, inquiries, new accounts, paying off your only installment loan, having your oldest account drop off your report, etc.  Whatever this thing is that caused your 20 point drop, you simply weren't aware of it until you were provided with a new/updated score, which just so happened to take place at the time your name changed as the name change is an alertable event.

Hopefully this make sense.  If you have any other questions, definitely fire away.  I can tell you with 100% conviction though that your name change did not cause your score drop.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I suppose I start digging for the cause.
Message 6 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

As my scores slowly rise, there are plenty of 10 to 20 point swings on Fico8 (even worse on Vantage3). Most are due to new accounts, inquiries, loan balances/pay-offs, utilization, and number of cards with balances reporting that month. It should rebound soon.

fdtyghujnjkik.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.