Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Walk Away?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Walk Away?

Long story short, my mom passed away unexpectedly in April. No will, no life insurance. I am the sole person capable of taking on the house mortgage. It’s where I live and don’t want to move/lose it.

Before, I had rebuilt my credit to the point everything was grand. Bought a new car in August of 2016. Fast forward to today, I cannot pay a mortgage, car loan and my credit debt. I need a home and that takes priority. In order to do that, I will have to walk away from the car and most of my credit cards. I have tried every avenue available and unfortunately, this is all I have left.

I know it’s going to be bad for a while if I do this but is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage? I plan on keeping several of my high cards in good standing but everything else will be defaulted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can’t sell the car, as it would cost me 6K. Don’t have that.

Thanks
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Walk Away?

Sorry to hear about your mother passing..  To get started and for best advice, can you start by listing as to how much the payment for the house is monthly?  How much do you own on your credit cards and what are your payments?  For the car, have you tried selling it privately by listing it on Craiglist?

Message 2 of 32
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mom. Any thought about getting a cheaper car? What about other costs you incur, maybe cut out cable - netflix, anything like that? How about refinance mortgage if it's current too high? I wish you the best of luck..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can’t sell the car. It would be a loss and it has a lien on it. Would cost me 6k to sell it.

I have my old car so a car isn’t the issue as of now. Can’t cut any costs as I have bare minimums now. Current mortgage isn’t too high and I can’t refinance or borrow as it’s not in my name. Still in my moms.

My cc debt is 20K. Car payment is 737. Can’t refinance and can’t get a personal loan. Sucks all around.

Don’t want to walk away but I really have no choice right now.
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Can’t sell the car. It would be a loss and it has a lien on it. Would cost me 6k to sell it.

I have my old car so a car isn’t the issue as of now. Can’t cut any costs as I have bare minimums now. Current mortgage isn’t too high and I can’t refinance or borrow as it’s not in my name. Still in my moms.

My cc debt is 20K. Car payment is 737. Can’t refinance and can’t get a personal loan. Sucks all around.

When is the house getting transferred to your name? (i.e. what's going on with the settling of your Mom's estate?) Will any $$ be coming to you that you can use towards your debts?

Also, where are you coming up with the figure of it costing $6k to sell your car?

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

House isn’t changing name anytime soon and no money coming to me.

The car I got three estimates from various places on value. Right around 32k for all. I owe 38. Hence the difference.
Message 6 of 32
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't walk away from a house that's not in your name, you'll get nothing. If your mom didn't have a will - will you ever get it down the line?

Message 7 of 32
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

How about a roomate?

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s the whole goal, keep the house. Yes, later down the road the option to get the house is there. That’s why I am trying to figure this out. The house is the most important thing right now.

If I mess up my credit too much, a mortgage is out of the question. I can’t get one now because my debt ratio is too high. I can’t get a loan to pay it down because my score is too low because my debt is too high. Can’t refi the car because score is too low.

It’s a vicious thing. So I must walk away from the car and most of the credit cards. That is really my only option.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
House isn’t changing name anytime soon and no money coming to me.

The car I got three estimates from various places on value. Right around 32k for all. I owe 38. Hence the difference.

They are quoting you $32k so they can sell it for $40k.

Sell it on your own and I bet you can break even on it.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.