Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be too worried?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I be too worried?

I only really realized how important paying off my bills was a few months ago... since then I was approved for my first credit card and so far I've been keeping myself up to date on payments. Except a few bills that came to bite me in the bottom today. Two medical offices called to bill me for emergency room visits I completely forgot about. One being $149.00 and the other being $1,005.00. Both go to collections in September, I know for a fact that I can pay off the $149.00 bill before it's sent to collections, but the $1,005 is what I'm worried about. Smiley Frustrated  I know you never want anything to go to collections, but is it a terrible thing if it does for a few months until I get the money to pay it off in full (i.e. Oct-Dec)? Smiley Sad Unfortunately setting up a payment plan hasn't exactly gone well... they want $200+ a month and frankly I can't afford that being only a student... Unfortunately I can only afford rent and utilities right now. Any advice? 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Re: Should I be too worried?

When you say you spoke with someone about setting up a payment plan was that people from the hospital giving you that amount? That amount seems ridiculous, I was in a similar situation once and I set up a low payment (5K hospital visit after health ins covered) and they told me as long as I sent over $50/mo they would not send it to collections. It's paid now, I paid it after 4 months went by just needed a few months to get the cash together. I would try negotiating with them again.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was the billing offices for the hospital yes, she just kept saying "Ma'am we can't wait that long. We can't wait that long." and when I asked if I could make payments she goes "The minimum we can take is four equal payments of $251.25. I was like, "are you kidding me?" 

Could it have been the representitive just not wanting to be helpful? Because I'm very worried about this bill...

Message 3 of 19
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It was the billing offices for the hospital yes, she just kept saying "Ma'am we can't wait that long. We can't wait that long." and when I asked if I could make payments she goes "The minimum we can take is four equal payments of $251.25. I was like, "are you kidding me?" 

Could it have been the representitive just not wanting to be helpful? Because I'm very worried about this bill...

Could be, never hurts to try and call again. All hospitals WANT to get paid, I would think you can work something out!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I'll call back and post an update when I get one. Thanks!

Message 5 of 19
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Is a part time (or 2nd part time) job an option?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately it's not. School is full time and I don't have a car, so I'm not only spending 6+ hours at school, but around 4hrs transportation a day round trip.

Message 7 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I don't know how it works anymore but back in the day as long as you paid a small amt. each month it wouldn't be sent to collection.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try that. I'll call back and make a payment in a few weeks, maybe $50-75 and hopefully it won't be sent in.

Message 9 of 19
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

My friend was in a very similar situation and her amount was quite a bit higher than yours.  They are NOT allowed to deny a payment from you and as long as you are making consistent payments then they're not supposed to be able to turn it over to collections because turning it over to collections is "supposed" to be a result of repeatedly trying to contact you for payment with not success.  So in theory if you're making regular monthly or bi-monthly payments then you are making an "effort" to pay the debt and you have an extremely good reason for not being able to PIF right now.  This info was given to my friend by an attorney so I know its valid information.  No  matter what they tell you go ahead and make a payment on it anyway...that way IF they do turn it over to collections you can dispuit it and send copies of your receipts in and they "CRA" will have to take it off your report.

Also considering your a student with no income have you tried getting help with your medical expenses?  A lot of states have programs for low income that will pay all or most of your medical bills up to so much a year and a lot of them will even backdate up to 90 days so I would contact my local community office that handles things like that and find out if I qualify for assistance!

I hope this information helps you!  Good luck in your journey and be diligent about your credit and finances as it can destroy your future before it even gets started if you're not careful.  I had med collections on me when I was younger and never knew anything about credit or payment plans and was really young and stupid and didn't care until I started working, got married, had kids, and needed to buy a home instead of renting.  Boy did it hit me all at once how important credit really is!  I was 23 when I got married and had my first child and i am getting ready to turn 32 and just this past year getting myself back on track and got everything cleared off all my CR's.  I wish you the very best in your journey and hopefully you'll avoid all the hassel of dealing with thatSmiley Happy

GOOD LUCK!!!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.