Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I bother dealing with this collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I bother dealing with this collection

So my problem is that my FICO 2 is 632 which is significantly below my FICO 8, which is 754. Unfortunately FICO 8 is an absolutely useless thing because no lender that matters to me is using it (and I am yet to understand who is using this "most commonly used" score). My goal is to purchase a car and they're pulling F2. So.. both are obviously looking at the same set of data. There are no discrepancies in credit reporting. I had utilization ~25% just killed it down to 11%. Will do force-update on Monday to see if it helps F2.

OTOH, I also found a collection on my F2 report. It is for $61, from a year ago, and I did pay it. The background there is as follows: we had a seasonal rental last year and had to install our own cable because the cheapo landlord didnt have pre-installed cable. It was in my name, so I opened a comcast account. When we were leaving, i asked my dumb ass boyfriend to return the equipment and pay for the month. Which he went and said he did. Turned out he didnt pay them, and they sent me a bill to the VACATION RENTAL address as opposed to my permanent/billing address. When obviously I blifully forgot all about it and only when they sold it to collection those guys were able to find me at home. At that point I paid it and they promised to remove it. Clearly they did not. The colleciton does not show up under F8 but it does under F2. Is this screwing me now? I have disputed it with Experian and instantly got a report that it has been removed. But it is still shown as a negative factor under my low F2 score. Should I worry about it? In the grand scheme of things, what is going to matter more - this stupid thing or paying off half of CC balances? This is really aggravating. This is why this whole industry gets such bad rep. Bloodsuckers.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I bother dealing with this collection

@Anonymous wrote:

So my problem is that my FICO 2 is 632 which is significantly below my FICO 8, which is 754. Unfortunately FICO 8 is an absolutely useless thing because no lender that matters to me is using it (and I am yet to understand who is using this "most commonly used" score). My goal is to purchase a car and they're pulling F2. So.. both are obviously looking at the same set of data. There are no discrepancies in credit reporting. I had utilization ~25% just killed it down to 11%. Will do force-update on Monday to see if it helps F2.

OTOH, I also found a collection on my F2 report. It is for $61, from a year ago, and I did pay it. The background there is as follows: we had a seasonal rental last year and had to install our own cable because the cheapo landlord didnt have pre-installed cable. It was in my name, so I opened a comcast account. When we were leaving, i asked my dumb ass boyfriend to return the equipment and pay for the month. Which he went and said he did. Turned out he didnt pay them, and they sent me a bill to the VACATION RENTAL address as opposed to my permanent/billing address. When obviously I blifully forgot all about it and only when they sold it to collection those guys were able to find me at home. At that point I paid it and they promised to remove it. Clearly they did not. The colleciton does not show up under F8 but it does under F2. Is this screwing me now? I have disputed it with Experian and instantly got a report that it has been removed. But it is still shown as a negative factor under my low F2 score. Should I worry about it? In the grand scheme of things, what is going to matter more - this stupid thing or paying off half of CC balances? This is really aggravating. This is why this whole industry gets such bad rep. Bloodsuckers.

What you're seeing is that FICO 8 scoring ignores paid collections under $100. FICO 2 does not. It's still on your reports either way.

How long ago did Experian say they would remove it? It doesn't usually happen overnight.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well as of 5/9 this is what I am seeing:

Results
Report Number: 1190-3866-11 Date Generated: May 09, 2020
CREDIT COLLECTION SERV
Account • 342409XX
This item was removed from your credit report. Please review your report for the details.

Message 3 of 7
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Congrats on getting it removed!

Message 4 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's removed from your report it's not going to show as a negative factor.

If it reappears in your report, then dispute it until it's removed.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so it did help! On my FICO 2 for mortgage the score went up to 711 from 630-ish On my Auto it is still sitting at 668 unfortunately probably on account of large credit card balances (which have been paid off). Neither one is listing the dumb collection as a neg factor as of today.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting it reomved! Situations like this often make me wonder if it wouldn't be better if everyone used the exact same Fico score, wheter it be for auto or Mortgage?

I don't know what it was like 20 or even 50 years ago, but sure it's gotten more complicated than it neds to be?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.