cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I care about my FICO resilience Index?

tag
HighAchiever334
New Visitor

Should I care about my FICO resilience Index?

I understand it is intended as a supplement to the traditional FICO scores. When I sign in to myFICO, at the bottom it says the resilience index is not available. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I care about my FICO resilience Index?

I'm not aware of any lenders actually subscribing to it or using it for underwriting.  From datapoints we've seen here comparing scores and profiles, the scores are very questionable as to their validity or usefulness.  Using myself as an example, I had FICO 8 scores in the 800s, but was labeled an extremely high risk due to monthly loan obligations - my mortgage and student loan payments are a small fraction of income and since income isn't factored in to begin with, it's preposterous to factor that as a high risk.  We also had examples of people with recent charge offs being among the lowest risk according to that index.

Message 2 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@HighAchiever334 wrote:

I understand it is intended as a supplement to the traditional FICO scores. When I sign in to myFICO, at the bottom it says the resilience index is not available. 

I don't know how much--or even, *IF*--this will help you, but *I* don't care about mine at all! In fact, I don't even recall hearing of a 'resilience index' until reading this thread. Therefore, I figure that in almost 50 years of using credit, if I don't know anything about my resilience index--including its very existence--it can't be all that important to me! As with all things credit-related, YMMV. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Message 4 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@SoCalGardener here's some light reading.

Ha ha ha! LIGHT reading indeed! I didn't scroll past "Message 1 of 1,094" Smiley Surprised

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

But I will skim through enough later to get an idea of what it's all about. Thanks for the link.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

FICO tells me that I have to take out a loan to be more resilient.

Message 6 of 16
805orbust
Valued Contributor

NO

Message 7 of 16
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

The resilience index makes me laugh. It hasn't budged for me as I paid off various loans and opened new lines over the past year. Mine is showing "You're looking OK" with moderate risk and a score of 55 and two red flags:

1. Amount of debt high/Installment loan balances high - I have one auto loan with an outstanding balance of under $5k, cc are PIF every month

2. High percent of revolving accounts - Yes, this is what happens when you don't have multiple loans

Personally, it doesn't seem like a very accurate indicator of risk. It would be great to hear from someone with a high resilience index and learn what their profile looks like.  [Scratch that, I just did some light reading from the link provided upthread] For me, it feels a bit like throwing darts at a board without personal (and possibly household) income as a factor.

Message 8 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

Personally, it doesn't seem like a very accurate indicator of risk. It would be great to hear from someone with a high resilience index and learn what their profile looks like.  [Scratch that, I just did some light reading from the link provided upthread] For me, it feels a bit like throwing darts at a board without personal (and possibly household) income as a factor.

I know you've scratched that, however, I can provide a few datapoints if you'd like.  Prior to my Chapter 13 dropping off my reports my Resiliance score was a surprising (to me) 44; once my bankruptcy fell off, the score dropped to an even more surprising 34.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 16
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

I know you've scratched that, however, I can provide a few datapoints if you'd like.  Prior to my Chapter 13 dropping off my reports my Resiliance score was a surprising (to me) 44; once my bankruptcy fell off, the score dropped to an even more surprising 34.

So is the trick having very few cards or what? I have six cards, one being a Target RedCard so store card. All are PIF (just added this info to the original post I'd made). I'm trying to figure out what they think is risky about my profile. I do wonder if doing AZEO would help with this, as I'm not careful about letting balances report at all. Last month I think my cards showed something like $3k balances across all cards but that is well under 10% overall utilization and it doesn't seem to impact my credit scores at all.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.