cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute this notation on my report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dispute this notation on my report?

I had a citibank credit card with a large balance that went into charge off status when I lost my job. First CO date was June 2016, then every month consecutively for 2 years it keep updating the account as a charge off. So when I pulled an Experian CR you see all of these red COs on it.  I had to settle the account because Citibank was singlehandedly trying to destroy my credit. So I filed complaints with the CPFB due to unfair reporting  because they did not report that I paid $9000 in the settlement. Now all of the COs have been removed my CR but the $9000 I paid still isn't on the report and there is an "N" written on the last month I made the final settlement payment. I've never seen an "N" before, and in the legend it says that it stands for negative, so what does this mean exactly? Is it just as bad as having CO, how bad is it? What is my recourse at this point? Should I file a complaint to have the N changed to current because I made a payment that month? Who should I complain to?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I dispute this notation on my report?

Good question I’ll be interested in hearing answers myself
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it have a notation that it was paid? I’m not sure they have to state the amount.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you I would leave it alone now unless it is still updating monthly, Here is what should have happened; Ever month you missed until the settlement should say CO. Then, the final month should say "settled for less than full balance". Then every month after that should be blank. That would allow the negative information to age. What you got from CFPB complaint was much better imho, by getting them to remove all the CO. If it is still udating monthly with the "N" then yeah, continue to fight it. Its a negative account so you will never get it to not impact your score unless you let it age. Hope this helps

Message 4 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  your N does not mean Negative. It can represent current, or no data.

In your case, it's no data because account stopped reporting. That's how you'd want it to be. 

Here is an image from Experian's Glossary 

Screenshot_20200123-052656_Drive.jpg

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I wished  N= No info in my situation, but it doesn't. I'm thinking that Citibank didn't appreciate the fact that I filed a CFPB complaint, so they put in one last ding before settling the account. Just my thoughts. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. It says "Legally paid in full for less than the full balance".

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going through the same thing as you only with Captial one.  The N on my report also means Negative It was a charge off in Feb 2018 and until a few months ago i didn't realize they were still reporting a N... so now it says i have 24 Charge off on this account.  Thankfully i settled this account  last month and hoping it will stop reporting as N although they never updated my info (even after a dispute) to a $0 balance and it still say balance due /past due balance is $113.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to make sure the balance is updated otherwise it’s hurting your score even worse.
Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once a creditor reports their account to a CRA, they therafter are required to "promptly" update that reporting as necessary to maintain the current accuracy of any reported information.  FCRA 623(b).

No explicit period, such as 30 days, is specified.  The "promptness" requirement is a bit subjective, and it is common for complete financial and credit reporting updates to extend for a couple of months.

When you pay a delinquent debt, the current status must be updated from a delinquency status, such as 120-late, CO, etc., to a non-delinquency status, such as Paid, or Paid/settled for less than the full balance, AND the current, remaining debt balance must promptly be updated to $0, as there is no longer any remaining delinquent debt.

It is common for creditors to delay past the next regular reporting update to finalize settled accounts by updating the debt balance to $0, but they are required by statute to do so.

Yes, you can dispute if they fail to update the current status to a non-delinquency status, and/or fail to update the current balance to $0 in their next reporting.

However, since it is common for complete updating to be delayed past the next regular updating, I would recommend delaying a formal dispute until after the next monthly update cycle.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.