Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute....

tag
NeedingAChange
Established Member

Should I dispute....

I was looking at my credit report and I noticed that the OC DOFD and the CA DOFD are different.

Should I dispute for inaccurate information? Would it get removed? Or should I let it be?

Also is your credit reports supposed to have both the OC and the CA on it?

Thanks in advance

NeedingAChange
Starting: 512 CreditKarma (TU) - 1/6/2015
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Goal: 700+
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I dispute....

It is proper for a credit report to include reporting both by the creditor and a debt collector.

A collection is an additional action taken to obtain repayment of the debt.

If the creditor has reported a DOFD, then the debt collector should report that same date.  See FCRA 623(a)(5).

A dispute of the reporting by the debt collector would thus be appropriate as failing to comply with seciton 623(a)(5).

No, it will not require deletion of the collection.  It will require the debt collector to either verify or correct.

Deletion only applies to the information under dispute, not to other information, such as the accuracy of the debt/collection per se.

A dispute can be delayed until near to 7 years after the DOFD, as the only relevance of DOFD is to provide the CRA with the begin date of the credit report excludions period of either a collection or charge-off.  It is not imperiative that it be done, and would be unecessary if one were to obtain deletion of the collection, such as via a pay for deletion acceptance.  What is your planned action for dealing with the debt?

Message 2 of 7
NeedingAChange
Established Member

RobertEG, thank you so much for the information. My plan is to try to get a pay for deletion. The CA is Midland. I'm not sure how successful I will be with them.

NeedingAChange
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

There has been some success with them before, but ymmv. How are you going to request the PFD? By mail, phone, or email?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
NeedingAChange
Established Member

I was reading that mail was the best. Which way should request it?

NeedingAChange
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are a good negotiator or can fake a few crocodile tears, it might be best to call and make your plea.......

Actusl negotiations with a real person can often yield better results.

Message 6 of 7
NeedingAChange
Established Member

I'm sure I can do that. I'll practice a bit first. Thank you all so much for your help!

NeedingAChange
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.