cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I have my rent reported to the credit bureaus?

tag
nhlbluesgirl
Valued Member

Should I have my rent reported to the credit bureaus?

My apartment complex gives us the option to have our rent payments reported to the credit bureaus (not sure if only 1 or all 3). I never selected that option because I was afraid if something happens, I don't want the ding on my credit. However, I've been here 2 years and have been ok at paying on time. I've had a few payments that have been about a week late, but the majority have been on time, and no payments have been over 30 days late. Would it be in my best interest to have it reported? Does it only ding my credit if it is 30 days late?

FICO 8 as of 1/8/2022:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I have my rent reported to the credit bureaus?

It wouldn't be in your interest to have it reported.  It would increase your number of accounts with a balance and probably decrease your AAoA (definitely if they don't backdate the reporting to when you moved in).  If FICO's algo's understand consumer-reported accounts like this as installments, then it would also increase your balance:loan ratio, but I don't know how they see them.  Additionally, if your budget is such that you cannot always make your rent payments on time, then you probably wouldn't want to risk having a late reported to the bureaus.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't 

It'd most likely increase your DTI on automated applications -- applications would probably count your reported rent + rent payment account on credit report

Message 3 of 5
nhlbluesgirl
Valued Member

@Slabenstein wrote:

It wouldn't be in your interest to have it reported.  It would increase your number of accounts with a balance and probably decrease your AAoA (definitely if they don't backdate the reporting to when you moved in).  If FICO's algo's understand consumer-reported accounts like this as installments, then it would also increase your balance:loan ratio, but I don't know how they see them.  Additionally, if your budget is such that you cannot always make your rent payments on time, then you probably wouldn't want to risk having a late reported to the bureaus.

Thank you for the information. My payment history the first year I lived here wasn't as good as this past year, but I received a promotion a year ago, so that has really helped me. I only had 1 late payment in 2020 and that was because I was on short term disability from work for 6 weeks and only receiving 50% pay. That payment was only about a week late. Besides that, my 2020 payments have been perfect, and I plan to keep them that way.

FICO 8 as of 1/8/2022:

Message 4 of 5
nhlbluesgirl
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't 

It'd most likely increase your DTI on automated applications -- applications would probably count your reported rent + rent payment account on credit report

Thank you

FICO 8 as of 1/8/2022:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.