cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as AU on spouse's accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I remove myself as AU on spouse's accounts?

I am an AU on 4 of my husband's accounts, totalling 20K in available credit. I have an excellent credit score but he is very careless with credit and that makes me very nervous. On the upside, I pay the bills so they are never overdue. On the downside, he tends to run his cards up to the limit. What would be the effect on my score of my having myself removed as an AU on these accounts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I remove myself as AU on spouse's accounts?

If you're even asking, the answer is yes.

High utilization will drag down your score. Also, if he ever forgets you'll be fighting for a deletion.

The only downside is possibly losing average account age.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You should keep all your credit separate EXCEPT for mortgages. That means cars, motorcycles and boats have only one name on them.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent advice from Jaime123
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 5
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

If you are uncomfortable, remove yourself.  Its as simple as that, the score will improve over time.

I have authorized users interconnected on four credit users in my household but I control all spending, adding and deleting of accounts so I feel comfortable doing that.  I did this in order to increase scores and maximize app o rama opportunities.

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.