Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request a CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I request a CLI?

I ONLY have 13500 max available credit. Would I benefit requesting a CLI to boost my available credit? How much does available credit weigh over credit inquiries? Also, I have a  Capital One that regularly gives me increases as well as Walmart, but my youngest, BOA (a little over 1 year old) has NEVER given me an increase.  Should I request a CLI? Or just wait it out?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I request a CLI?

Do you mind posting some data points.....credit scores, inquiries, number of accounts, AAOA.....thanks!!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure! My credit score by fico standards (not fako) is 722. Inquiries are 4. AAoA is 8. And I'm not sure how many I have... college loans are throwing it off... but I THINK 9 total. I have 3 open, 3 school loans, and 3 closed iirc

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your profile IMO looks great to request a cli from BofA. It is definately a HP but if it has been over a year and your payment history is good and utilization is in line, I think you will do well. Remeber to go high and let them counter. As far as inquiries, you look pretty good. How recent are you 4 inq..? In regards to waiting it out...I just spoke with BofA about an auto increase on my account and they stated that it rarely happens any more...Let us know how it goes...Thanks!!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I ONLY have 13500 max available credit. Would I benefit requesting a CLI to boost my available credit? How much does available credit weigh over credit inquiries? Also, I have a  Capital One that regularly gives me increases as well as Walmart, but my youngest, BOA (a little over 1 year old) has NEVER given me an increase.  Should I request a CLI? Or just wait it out?

The size of your credit limits (either total or individual) is not a FICO scoring factor.  Suppose Bob and Fred each have four credit cards and (say) 5% utilization.  Bob's cards have credit limits of 1k each and Fred's are 20k each.  Fred will not get even 1 extra point for having the huge credit limits.  All that matters there is the utilization.

You could spend 20k a month on your cards (given your credit limits) and still have a very low utilization.  You'd just need to pay your cards down a few times.

On the other hand, if you'd like a CLI, feel free to ask for one.  Nothing wrong with that.

As Doinit explained, BOA definitely does a hard pull for CLI requests.  Many issuers do not, but BOA does.  This link may be helpful as you look into getting CLIs:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/maximize-your-credit-limits-for-the-citi-gold-deal/

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had assumed that ALL requests are a hard pull! I think I'll wait until some of my inquiries fall off until I do BofA, but I can do Capital One now as I have NEVER requested an up! Also, does anyone know if Walmart does a hard pull on request?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had NO idea it could be so easy Smiley Happy CO just gave me $2k INSTANTLY without bumping my credit!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delighted to hear that that link was a help!  Best of luck...

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your increase!! For Walmart, call credit solutions for Synchrony Bank  and request high. It will be a soft pull and you will probably be successful as well. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question... on Walmart could I get away with using the request feature online instead of calling? I avoid phone calls where possible.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.