Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i close my NFCU cc

tag
gtjohn
Valued Member

Should i close my NFCU cc

Hey all i am thinking about closing my NFCU cc account here is why, i have a total of 4 cc's, Auto Loan, mortgage.

BofA 16/30,000

USAA 0/22,000

DISC 0/13,000

NFCU 0/15,000

util 1-2%

I am doing the AZEO i just think it would easier to manage 3 cc's vs 4 cc's to rotate, i read somewere in these thread's that the CB's like to see a min of three revolver's, basically i want an idea if my score will take a hit

EX=801,TU=795, EQ=800

thank's everyone

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: Should i close my NFCU cc

@gtjohn wrote:

Hey all i am thinking about closing my NFCU cc account here is why, i have a total of 4 cc's, Auto Loan, mortgage.

BofA 16/30,000

USAA 0/22,000

DISC 0/13,000

NFCU 0/15,000

util 1-2%

I am doing the AZEO i just think it would easier to manage 3 cc's vs 4 cc's to rotate, i read somewere in these thread's that the CB's like to see a min of three revolver's, basically i want an idea if my score will take a hit

EX=801,TU=795, EQ=800

thank's everyone

I see no reason to do that.  Not sure what card it is if a Visa or MC it can be PC'ed.  Otherwise I would use it once in a while or put an auto pay bill on it to keep it active.  Just my opinion.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 2 of 23
gtjohn
Valued Member

What is PC,ed, the NCFU cc was opened in feb this year, it should not effect my AAoA. I like to keep it KISS, i have already thinned the herd by closing 4 cc's.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure on your long or short goals, or what credit you do need, etc

but my 2 cents:

NFCU would be the last card I would close if that was my list.

Message 4 of 23
thornback
Senior Contributor

PC means Product Change. Perhaps you can switch to an NFCU CC that better suits your spending habits/needs. Maybe their low APR Platinum (7.49% is current low) just to have a card to use in case you have an unexpected expense and need to carry a large balance for a while.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone in this forum that will agree with closing NFCU... lol, they are quite beloved - and for good reason.

My opinion is to consider keeping the relationship because NFCU actually values relationship - in the event you fall on hard financial times in the future, they would be the most likely of your creditors to work through it with you and help you get back on your feet. BOA and Disco will both tell you to kick rocks - relationship means nothing. USAA values relationship to an extent - but profit always comes out on top. It's good to have a solid, relationship-driven credit union in your corner, just in case.

That said, if you feel none of the above is worth holding onto the card, then close it. All you'll lose is the credit limit and your util is low so that won't matter much; and the closed account will still factor in your age of accounts for as long as it remains on your reports - usually up to 10 years.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to keep it simple stop doing AZEO. This is only necessary if you are about to apply for a new account particularly a mortgage. FICO mortgage scores see the most benefit for AZEO. FICO 8 which most lenders use will see a minimal impact (a few points) from this. Once you stop doing it and see the tiny amount your score drops you will wonder what on earth you were spending all of this time doing this for. Seriously. AZEO is the most over recommended advice in all of ficoland.

Use the cards that give you the most benefit. Throw a Netflix or somethingsmall on the others to keep them active. Enjoy all the additional free time you just gained with your family,

Message 6 of 23
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to keep it simple stop doing AZEO. This is only necessary if you are about to apply for a new account particularly a mortgage. FICO mortgage scores see the most benefit for AZEO. FICO 8 which most lenders use will see a minimal impact (a few points) from this. Once you stop doing it and see the tiny amount your score drops you will wonder what on earth you were spending all of this time doing this for. Seriously. AZEO is the most over recommended advice in all of ficoland.

Use the cards that give you the most benefit. Throw a Netflix or somethingsmall on the others to keep them active. Enjoy all the additional free time you just gained with your family,

All of this too.  +1 completely agree. There is no need to do AZEO continuously and it's certainly not a good reason to close an account with a lender like NFCU.  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 7 of 23
gtjohn
Valued Member

I see what you all saying, however the NFCU cc is at 15.24%, i was thinking from the stand point of to much available credit that it may look bad. I am not shopping for a mortgage or vehicle. 20K+ in saving's,

thank's for the knowledge from the reply's.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gtjohn wrote:

I see what you all saying, however the NFCU cc is at 15.24%, i was thinking from the stand point of to much available credit that it may look bad. I am not shopping for a mortgage or vehicle. 20K+ in saving's,

thank's for the knowledge from the reply's.

@gtjohn Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and can't get it.

Frankly, if you're concerned about too much credit you'd close the BofA card.

Message 9 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure what your definition of too much credit is, but whatever you listed up there ain't it.
If you're not carrying balances, APR is hardly relevant. Also, while 15.24% is not an apr to carry balance on, it's not bad at all.

Because you're worried about scoring impact, what do you think happens if you decide to abandon AZEO or have to abandon it because life happens?
If it bothers you that much, go ahead and close. There wont be any immediate scoring impact as long as your utilization doesnt change.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.