Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

UPDATE: All are now removed. 10/23

Dil had to go to ER last night, took the WalmartMC in case she needed it for medicine afterward.  Just got an alert that the acct. was within $200 of credit limit on a 0 balance acct.

1st charge- last night

2nd-8th charges- this morning  

Total Charges Pending: $963.00 (None of which they will be responsible forSmiley Wink )

Evil ppl out there.  I keep telling them to get rfid wallets, card sleeves.....this is ridiculous.  She never once pulled her card out; they haven't used it in a month. smh!  I told them to keep an eye on their bank accts. and that's why I don't carry a debit card any longer.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Skimmed in the ER

FYI not all cards are contactless and produce a signal to a reader.  The chip is a passive device. 

It's possible someone just randomly generated the number or it was accessed by other means i.e. hacked info

Message 2 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Idk, the timing....they never carry the card.  Took it last night, then Boom x 7.  But yes, I see what you're saying.

Message 3 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chalk it up to a coincidence and make sure they keep an eye on other account as a precaution but, Sync tends to be an easy target for some reason. I can't even count how many times I've seen them be reported for fraud around here.  There was even one person that had charges run up into the 5 figures and Sync totally missed it until they reported it.

Message 4 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chalk it up to a coincidence and make sure they keep an eye on other account as a precaution but, Sync tends to be an easy target for some reason. I can't even count how many times I've seen them be reported for fraud around here.  There was even one person that had charges run up into the 5 figures and Sync totally missed it until they reported it.

Yeah, that's why I posted and was glad we had an alert set to $ within limit.  7 charges within 12 hrs. should have raised a red-flag to someone another than us. Crazy.  

So a reminder again to peeps, set those alerts (email, sms, etc.)....he will be without his acct. until the Cap1 trans., it's okay but glad this wasn't his daily driver.

Also, I just looked at his card and it does NOT show the contactless so I think I will change the title.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Message 5 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, there was a bit of a flurry of contactless cards back in the mid 200x era and then they died off for awhile and now they're making a bit of a comback but, still not really prevelant.  I think the bigger issue would be if they're using mobile payments and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  There's still supposed to be authentication before it transmits but, sometimes phones do funny things.  I don't do payments on my devices even though it's tempting when you have 20+ cards sitting around.  It keeps things simpler with a stable of 5 cards in the pocket and dedicated use for the others w/ some backups set aside that only get used for an Amazon refill every 12 months to keep them alive.

Message 6 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  

What is that please?

Message 7 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the bigger issue would be if they're using mobile payments and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  There's still supposed to be authentication before it transmits but, sometimes phones do funny things. 

Is this really an issue?  (i.e. have you heard reports of this?)   I am always asked for authentication and the POS asks for verification of amount as well.

Message 8 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  

What is that please?

NFC is Near Field Communication, used by both mobile pay and contactless.

Message 9 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-field_communication

It's what makes payments work contactless on a phone vs card which is RFID.

Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.