Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

This is Greek to me....I will study up on it.  Thanks!

Hmm ... cool! Did not know you were Greek ?

Hey @Anonymous , I eat Greek salads, does that count?

I'll answer ....Yes! yes it doesSmiley LOL

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 21 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous 

Could ds or dil's information being taken off one of their phones?  Could that have happened, and could it happen that quickly?

Message 22 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the bigger issue would be if they're using mobile payments and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  There's still supposed to be authentication before it transmits but, sometimes phones do funny things. 

Is this really an issue?  (i.e. have you heard reports of this?)   I am always asked for authentication and the POS asks for verification of amount as well.

Phone = Computer = hackable

If they can come up with a USB cable / port to skim info from your phone they surely can implant software to skim your info as well.  Most of the technology to protect against this puts things into their own sandbox environment when they're accessed to not expose the rest of your device while running.  If someone injects code in the handshake with the device it's possible to bypass the security features that protect your info.  

Sure, but it is a question of risk assessment.   I assume you are using a computer to access this forum.  Equally in theory, that could be hacked and used to access any of your financial accounts/information that is internet enabled.....

Message 23 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Sure, but it is a question of risk assessment.   I assume you are using a computer to access this forum.  Equally in theory, that could be hacked and used to access any of your financial accounts/information that is internet enabled.....

Gotcha....well I am very glad we had the alerts set up.  So kudos to the banks for giving us those kind of things to set in place.

Message 24 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous 

Could ds or dil's information being taken off one of their phones?  Could that have happened, and could it happen that quickly?

If they're all in the same household it could be something else like someone sniffing the WIFI packets and capturing CC's and other useful info.  Could be mail tampering if youo're not using electronic statements across the board.  If they're from the same lender it could be a compromise on that side.  As you mentioned going to the same place to dine and having a bad actor there snapping photos of cards when ringing you out could be an option as well.  There's a ton of ways to take info w/o you noticing.  

Message 25 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, and i mitigate things with multiple layers of protection.  I built my own router/wifi instead of relying on off the shelf routers that are buggy as h3ll and lack proper updates in a timely fashion.  I restrict my traffic on the router to only allow traffic a return path if the connection originated with my machines and not just accepting inbound traffic probes.  I also use DNS over HTTPS to prevent packet captures while doing page look ups to the internet and also keeps Comcast from knowing where I'm going as easily.  If it's sensitive data then I flip on my proxy or vpn connection to further obfuscate the traffic.  The list of countermeasures goes on beyond that.

Message 26 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a ton of ways to take info w/o you noticing.  

Apparently so...this is the 3rd incident in like 2 months.  And we're new to credit so it's a little much in a way.  Plus I've had a trash digger; go figure!  I'll never figure it out but we will not be carrying debit cards, just these cc's cause I like the way they say, "It's okay, you will not be held responsible."  shew!

My friend, who had here cc and debit compromised at the same time as me is still dealing with mess but her money in her bank acct. took a little while to get back from what I understand.  Also the cop that made the report said it took him a long time to get his money back into his acct. at the bank also.  Credit Cards= +1    Debit Cards= -1

Message 27 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, and i mitigate things with multiple layers of protection.  I built my own router/wifi instead of relying on off the shelf routers that are buggy as h3ll and lack proper updates in a timely fashion.  I restrict my traffic on the router to only allow traffic a return path if the connection originated with my machines and not just accepting inbound traffic probes.  I also use DNS over HTTPS to prevent packet captures while doing page look ups to the internet and also keeps Comcast from knowing where I'm going as easily.  If it's sensitive data then I flip on my proxy or vpn connection to further obfuscate the traffic.  The list of countermeasures goes on beyond that.

Okay this, sounds great!  Can you come set mine up?  lol! idk what some of those words areSmiley Embarassed

Message 28 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's definitely next level dedication! 

OP you certainly raised my awareness about the WM MC and needing alerts. I too have mine in the SD 99% of the time, and only take it with me if I'm specifically going there. And I generally only use it a couple times per year online. So the only time i know there's a balance is when I receive a statement. So thanks for the tip that i should set some slerts on this account, so that one day I don't wake up to a $5K charge. lol

On another note, I placed an order last night on Gamestop.com using my Amex Gold and it was declined. very first time for this card to ever have this happen, so I was immediately shocked. Then In get a text from them asking if it were me. My only thought was that maybe they get a lot of fraud activity, and Amex was being cautious. 

Message 29 of 93
jbestman007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I have a similar set up and only use Linux when accessing sensitive data. I also don't carry my debit cards with me. Plus, I also use a wallet with RFID blocking technology built in. Yet, this past weekend my debit card was used to empty out my checking account. They were nice enough to leave me with $20.  I live in the DC area and all the fraudulent charges were done in Tennessee. Ridiculous. As I told the Call Rep, they would decline a charge I make in neighboring Virginia for $5 but allow $100s worth of transactions in Tennessee? 

Your personal built in security measures are only as good as the weakest link. And if the weak link is with the bank itself, you can have as many layers of protection as you like and you will still find yourself compromised. To think that there are actually banks that save our information on .txt files. Unbelievable. 

Message 30 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.