Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

@Anonymous 

Yeah hopefully Amex was cautious and you don't have something else going on with Gamestop.  Yeah set up those alerts.  Each time we had a problem we were first made aware by text messages and emails.  Pretty cool!  One time with my debit card I was not even informed by my bank, took over two weeks for me to figure out that my debit card was not working; called them and they apologized and said they suspended two weeks ago....but never bothered to tell me.  Then I had to wait on another card.  That was annoying x 2.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 31 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On another note, I placed an order last night on Gamestop.com using my Amex Gold and it was declined. very first time for this card to ever have this happen, so I was immediately shocked. Then In get a text from them asking if it were me. My only thought was that maybe they get a lot of fraud activity, and Amex was being cautious. 

Amex will block things sometimes if it's outside of your normal spending pattern or merchants.  Usually you just acknowledge the text and it goes through when you resubmit the order.

Message 32 of 93
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I personally don't worry about alerts.   If it gets hacked/taken I am not responsible for charges.  Sure it is a PITA, but such is life and life will continue.  Sorry to hear this happened to you OP.   Alerts would drive me nuts for transaction I know people that set them for like a dollar, I would literally go bonkers getting texts or emails at such small limits.  I suppose I can understand like a 1k alert to save me a headache, but not small amounts.  Granted small is relative to people what they consider that to be.  If I am not expecting a call or a text my phone remains on silent as well as I wont let me phone run my life

Message 33 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

The quicker you get started on dealing with fraud, the better. I set alerts for every card I can for the smallest transaction size that I can. Minor irritation through alerts going off is worth the peace of mind to me. 

Message 34 of 93
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The quicker you get started on dealing with fraud, the better. I set alerts for every card I can for the smallest transaction size that I can. Minor irritation through alerts going off is worth the peace of mind to me. 

+1

Message 35 of 93
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is fine, but as stated i am not responsible and spend about 5 hours of my day each day in meeting and it simply wouldn't work for my life.  When I get home from my work the last thing I want to do is have my phone bug me unless I want it to. Smiley Happy.  To each their own though and what works for one doesnt work for others, etc.  If I have to sign an affidavit, so be it send it to me and get those charges off my account. 

Funny thing is know people that have had their cards hacked like 10-20 times where-as i never have had a fraud charge.  Either they have maleware or shop at places I wouldnt shop, etc.  Gosh know how much of the time the CC is out of my signht while at bars, etc as well and yet never had fraud in my life.  

As stated very sorry this happened to OP, but alerts arent for me as check accounts once a week approx and that is soon enough for me.

Message 36 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I suppose I can understand like a 1k alert to save me a headache, but not small amounts. 

It ended up being 7 small-ish (I guess you could say) transactions that amounted to like $930.00 something in a 9 hour period maybe less than that.  Luckily because I do monitor all transactions (been bit 3 times by fraud in 2 months through 3 different ccc's) that I am not bothered by alerts at all; time is of the essence I feel. Cut it off! 

Regarding transaction alerts.....kinda funny to me but I'm a little twisted or bored,  I literally know where my peeps are throughout the day, it's hilarious- can't help it! beep, dh is at walmart; beep, ds is at Sam's; beep now he's at O'reilly's; beep dh is at the gas station.....I know he is heading back home, predictable creatures they are.Heart  Idk, beeps, texts, emails, phone calls don't bother me.....dh is like, "I'd shoot the phone!"  hahaha!  Heck, usps wakes me up in the middle of the night to tell me my package is at a certain facility....okay, that one is annoying but I will always have my phone on just in case someone needs me, everyone else relies on me to leave mine on so they can turn theirs off; that's fair..I work at the house.

Message 37 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is fine, but as stated i am not responsible and spend about 5 hours of my day each day in meeting and it simply wouldn't work for my life.  When I get home from my work the last thing I want to do is have my phone bug me unless I want it to. Smiley Happy.  To each their own though and what works for one doesnt work for others, etc.  If I have to sign an affidavit, so be it send it to me and get those charges off my account. 

Funny thing is know people that have had their cards hacked like 10-20 times where-as i never have had a fraud charge.  Either they have maleware or shop at places I wouldnt shop, etc.  Gosh know how much of the time the CC is out of my signht while at bars, etc as well and yet never had fraud in my life.  

As stated very sorry this happened to OP, but alerts arent for me as check accounts once a week approx and that is soon enough for me.

It's all about what you're comfortable with. 

I also haven't had a lot of experience with fraud. I even have had to go back to a bar or club to get my credit card the next day (I was very irresponsible in my 20s). That said, I watched others deal with it and that was enough for me. 

I even lock credit cards that I don't plan to use for anything. 

Message 38 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You and Dh have the same philosophy and I totally get it and respect that....I think most ppl think like y'all, but I'm hyper so this is nothing to me.  If I have something that doesn't seem right, no matter how small I'm like focused or I can't move on.  It's all about personality; my dh points that out to me alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. hahaha, oil and waterHeart

Message 39 of 93
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Strangely enough, the only fraud I've had recently was on my CSP and CFU. Chase caught it both times. 

Chase has done the decline, Is this You? thing to me a few times before I allowed their app to see my location. The declines were always at the most in-opportune moments... Paying the check at Langers Deli in LA with a huge line behind me (CFU before I had CSP). Picking up the tab dining with other management at a Hawaiian BBQ joint (CSP). Frys Electronics while Xmas shopping (CFU) and more...  It was always places that used mag stripe entry that this happened BTW.

Back in the early 90's, (before fancy cell phones.. ) I was in NY and I got a call from my mother that Citibank was trying to get ahold of me. I called them and they asked if I had my card on me (which I did..) and then said that they showed the card being swiped in NY (which was me) and then 10 minutes later the same card being swiped in a gas pump in Anaheim, CA.. (Umm.. not me!) They overnighted a new card to me at a relatives address in NY and all was fine afterwards.

Message 40 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.