Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

Okay, I got a name, number and this transition will be a hiccup, I will have to call back to cap1 to make sure everything is how they say it is.  We were both reassured the fraud charges are not his, the acct. is shut down, he also said they are notifying the 3B's of this matter too.  At this moment they still don't know which card was used, ds's or his wife's, she is an AU.

He also said we will be receiving a letter of the investigation but I forgot if he said it was coming from them or Cap1.  He did say his balance is not the balance being reflected.  He said to follow up on this with Cap1, I'm like, are they going to believe us? What if they don't? Do you have good notes, a ref. number? anything to help, so he gave me his name and id but I have nothing in writing.  Just taking daily screenshots.  Luckily I took one the day before showing their pymt posted and the correct balance with no pending charges.  They hadn't used it in a month, I had his card in the lock box.  She had her card but wasn't using it, just had it for the ER and meds if needed.

But this is not over because of the timing we will have to follow up with Cap1...just don't want ds's credit report damaged from something falling through the crack(s).

Terrible timing, transition and all.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 61 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy... don't mess around! Get the account shut down. It is the lender's problem to follow all the charges etc. You need to jump in their face with both feet!!! The credit card law sets a process to follow!

Remember: "the nice guy finishes last" ... take that to the bank!

Frankly, may be you want to permanently say goodbye if they can't handle the situation by the numbers! Unreal!!!

Agreed, I called right when dil and I saw this stuff going down.  Just got off the phone again, I posted that convo above. Something else I just realized, those charges amount to over ds's credit limit..now how could that be allowed?  His cl is 1k, those charges are at $1400.00 now.

Message 62 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Also, thanks @ImTheDevil and @Dinosaur.......I'm glad we went ahead and called early this morning instead of waiting.  I wasn't really sure if we should or should not since we had already done this the other day.  But now I at least have a name and id number to help if need be.

EDIT TO ADD:

about the mail mess that bothers me...our trash cans and mailbox are 1/2 mile down the road.  I have had a trash digger, we've all (the neighbors) had mail issues.  Just stuff that makes you worry about id theft and such.  Plus I've had Id theft.  All of this within a few months time frame.  So yeah, I'm "overly" cautious but not without cause.

Message 63 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Skimmed/Fraud- set those alerts if you haven't

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

Dil had to go to ER last night, took the WalmartMC in case she needed it for medicine afterward.  Just got an alert that the acct. was within $200 of credit limit on a 0 balance acct.

1st charge- last night

2nd-6th charges- this morning

Total Charges Pending: $963.00 (None of which they will be responsible forSmiley Wink )

Evil ppl out there.  I keep telling them to get rfid wallets, card sleeves.....this is ridiculous.  She never once pulled her card out; they haven't used it in a month. smh!  I told them to keep an eye on their bank accts. and that's why I don't carry a debit card any longer.

Got that right! Put the Debit Card in a vault and it stays there. We need to remember, besides not having the same protections as credit cards, the Banks that issue the Debit Cards have a lot to say on the temporary and permanent return of funds. They are suppose to be our advocates with the Merchants but ... ? Yeah, that's what the fine print says but, I read other wise as to actual results! Why pass on rewards anyway?

I do carry a debit card but the maximum on it never exceeds $50 a month. So a criminal would be throwing my card away immediately in total disgust. Smiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 64 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't you use your debit card at the ATM? I do, but its infrequent. For those cash people who either only take cash or those who pay you in wads of cash. If I'm handed $200, I take it to the ATM. 

Message 65 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't you use your debit card at the ATM? I do, but its infrequent. For those cash people who either only take cash or those who pay you in wads of cash. If I'm handed $200, I take it to the ATM. 

I never use an ATM anymore due to the charges from the ATM provider.  I always use it in a grocery store if need be but, I haven't done that in years either since you can pull CB on your CC for no fee as well. 

As to Cash... I just take it to the nearest CU and deposit it through share branching... takes about as long as it would to do an ATM deposit w/o the worry of info being taken from a hidden camera / skimmer or someone walking by and deciding to try a robbery.

The last time I used a debit card physically was to get a couple of money orders for a RE deal I was doing and that was 4.5 years ago.  I do use my debit card though for the 2.5% APY I get on checking but, just use Amazon reloads to hit the magic number required for the interest to be paid out.

Message 66 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I never use an ATM anymore due to the charges from the ATM provider.  I always use it in a grocery store if need be but, I haven't done that in years either since you can pull CB on your CC for no fee as well. 

As to Cash... I just take it to the nearest CU and deposit it through share branching... takes about as long as it would to do an ATM deposit w/o the worry of info being taken from a hidden camera / skimmer or someone walking by and deciding to try a robbery.

The last time I used a debit card physically was to get a couple of money orders for a RE deal I was doing and that was 4.5 years ago.  I do use my debit card though for the 2.5% APY I get on checking but, just use Amazon reloads to hit the magic number required for the interest to be paid out.

What other card other than disco gives cash back? I know of no others.

I've never had a fraud issue with my debit card. Of course I only use it to withdraw cash. And within the last year,  Google pay. 

Message 67 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Lol, what's a debit card?  just jokingSmiley Tongue  Ever since getting cc's I haven't used a debit card once.  It's so nice.  I've had fraud on my debit card a couple of times over the years, never amounted to anything, just a hassle.  At least with cc's you can continue on while the local banks are like snail mail handling things...at least with my past experiences.  

Heck, even the cop that did our fraud report for Disco and Cap1 last month said his debit card got hit 3 times this year and that he had no money to do anything and relied on his cc's to get him by until the bank made good on it.  Also, my friend who got hit with fraud purchases from the same gas station as we did got hit with fraud again before she could even activate her cc, no biggie, but her debit card- in route, was shut down again and her money was tied up yet again.  She's ticked with her bank at the moment.  Like how does that happen?  She has no subscriptions, doesn't even go online and has charges coming out of California...those have stopped, but the bank debit card issues along with the same bank's cc has really turned her sour.  Now she is doing cash only, that and checks, mailing checks, paying bills in person or mailing them, a check register, all that work.....I'd rather have fraud issues than that annoying pita old school stuff.  I tried telling her to go to Cap1 or Discover, some big bank but she's like, "Nope, they're all stupid!"

Message 68 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

she's like, "Nope, they're all stupid!"

611172d3fe1b2da6c8f3441936229d0a

Message 69 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous 

AIN'T IT!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 70 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.