Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sitting and watching TV and I get a text. I looked at it and it was for a $48 transaction at mixed chicks. Never heard of them. I had CO shut the card down within 5 min and a new card on the way.

Yep, that's happened to us too, just like that.

Having 8 bank cards is like having 8 cars. If one goes in the shop, no biggie, I have 7 others. Maybe I wanted that particular one for something, but the other 7 can fit the purpose almost as well. Good One!

I think it's funny when it happens. I just wanna find them and punch'em in the face! (hate Thieves and Liars)Smiley Mad

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 71 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sitting and watching TV and I get a text. I looked at it and it was for a $48 transaction at mixed chicks. Never heard of them. I had CO shut the card down within 5 min and a new card on the way.

Yep, that's happened to us too, just like that.

Having 8 bank cards is like having 8 cars. If one goes in the shop, no biggie, I have 7 others. Maybe I wanted that particular one for something, but the other 7 can fit the purpose almost as well. Good One!

I think it's funny when it happens. I just wanna find them and punch'em in the face! (hate Thieves and Liars)Smiley Mad

Yeah, when it's 1 or a couple transactions and its shut down immediately, seems like a lot of work for them to get only $45 or 200 out of their effort. Funny to work that hard for a couple minutes of free money.

Tons of transactions like you experienced would be unnerving and would get me mad. You reported it and you should be fine. 

What gets me mad is restaurant servers inflating their tips and I have to call to fix it. The CCC reimburses me and often they forget about retrieving the excess tip, but I'd rather they retrieve it and keep it than just give me the difference. It's the principle. 

I had one server who tipped $1.50 over. I didn't like the attitude of the server to begin with and then to find that out, I called and talked to the manager. He said he could get a money order for $1.50 and mail it to me. I said that works. It's a pain for them to go through all the trouble to mail such a small amount, but it's also a pain for me to call them to fix it, so I wanted it to be very inconvenient.

I never got the money order. 

Message 72 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never got the money orderDangSmiley Mad

Off topic, but who cares?  Have you ever asked for a cli on the Lowes?  You GOT some cardsSmiley Wink

Message 73 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I got 1900 a few months after opening it. I recently put a freeze on my reports and hear that they won't  give one if you have a freeze on the bureaus. 

Message 74 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, there was a bit of a flurry of contactless cards back in the mid 200x era and then they died off for awhile and now they're making a bit of a comback but, still not really prevelant.  I think the bigger issue would be if they're using mobile payments and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  There's still supposed to be authentication before it transmits but, sometimes phones do funny things.  I don't do payments on my devices even though it's tempting when you have 20+ cards sitting around.  It keeps things simpler with a stable of 5 cards in the pocket and dedicated use for the others w/ some backups set aside that only get used for an Amazon refill every 12 months to keep them alive.

Mastercard's PayPass was different than today's contct cards.  Any NFC reader can pick off the card number and expiry date of a PayPass card.  I can demo this with an Android app, my Pixel phone, and my old Citi Dividend card which has PayPass.

A good digital wallet that holds multiple cards likely has one card as the default and should need the screen to be unlocked to allow the transaction to happen.  A simple pass by shouldn't be possible.  And if it does somehow happen, you'll have an onscreen notification, probably a vibration, and a chime to indicate something occured.

Message 75 of 93
OmarR
Established Contributor

@jbestman007 wrote:

I also don't carry my debit cards with me. Plus, I also use a wallet with RFID blocking technology built in. Yet, this past weekend my debit card was used to empty out my checking account. They were nice enough to leave me with $20. 

Are you able to "lock" your debit card via your bank app or bank's website? If not, I would be changing banks yesterday.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 76 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Update: # one million...Able to set up my son's acct with CapOne.  It shows the acct restricted.  5 of the 8 charges are gone, still showing he owes over $400.  I know, I know...gotta wait for the investigation letter.  They have pushed his due date into Nov., it was on the 19th.  I hope that's a good sign.  All charges are from the same place in Arizona.  I'll just be glad when this is over.

Message 77 of 93
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Okay, I'm perplexed....has synch messed up? idk, will call.  But the emails keep rolling in, new charges posting and new in pending, very disappointed.  I even called Walmart and she said she couldn't pull up any charges and probably because Fraud was handling it. The CSR and I were trying to figure out where the charges, state and all, these were being made.  All online of course but I was glad to here she couldn't even see the orders...but for another new one to post under pending back on Oct 8 is concerning.  I've been taking screen shots daily, email alerts have me checking seeing all this stuff.

His pymt is due in 10 days, over 400.00 now. I really thought them shutting it down, which the header says "no more purchases can be made" would have stopped or froze everything at that moment.

Never mind! Should've read the rest of the thread before I replied. I'm glad you called them and are trying to get it handled! 

Not to be mean or anything, but why wouldn't you call them as soon as more charges started popping up?? You can't just let this go and hope some random internet stranger will be able to help you. Call them and demand to speak with a supervisor or something and get to the bottom of why they're allowing these charges to post to your CLOSED card. I love this forum and the people here are usually super helpful, but it seems like this post got way off track. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 78 of 93
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Never mind! Should've read the rest of the thread before I replied. I'm glad you called them and are trying to get it handled! 

It's okay,  it was a lot of nervous posting on my part.  Thanks, yeah those charges weren't even 8 hrs old when I/we started calling claiming fraud and shut it all down.  I'll just have to keep tight with Cap1 on this too, already called, reported but gotta let them do their thing.

but it seems like this post got way off track.  GUILTY, LOL!   It did, though I learned a lot and appreciate all the posts and advice and just some good humor...I was an upset, nervous Mama Bear.

Message 79 of 93
zerofire
Valued Contributor

It seams like between Synchrony Bank and Capital One Bank they are handling it. The problem with Synchrony Bank is that they need so many credit card numbers and are at such a low area of the banking spectrum that they got creative with the savings. If you checked the main Walmart MC card number and the AU card number actually will be the same. This saves Synchrony Bank a whole number which I am sure they have to pay for times however many people get AU cards(massive savings). Considering that the AU charges are on the main card holder this savings can be justified but also means that in the case of fraud there is no way to know who was targeted. Have no fear Capital One will issue cards with unique numbers for everyone. Also everyone that is transitioning to Capital One is getting a new due date. The funny part is that the new issuer has more experience with taking over accounts than probably anyone else. So far it has been very smooth for me but it might be because my account is super simple.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 80 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.