cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmed/Fraud- UPDATE

Highlighted
Epic Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER


@GApeachy wrote:

@Obscure-Expert wrote:

and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  


What is that please?


@GApeachy  ."NFC"Near-field communication

 

popcorn eating emoticon.gif

Message 11 of 93
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER


@longtimelurker wrote:

@Obscure-Expert wrote:

I think the bigger issue would be if they're using mobile payments and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  There's still supposed to be authentication before it transmits but, sometimes phones do funny things. 


Is this really an issue?  (i.e. have you heard reports of this?)   I am always asked for authentication and the POS asks for verification of amount as well.


Phone = Computer = hackable

 

If they can come up with a USB cable / port to skim info from your phone they surely can implant software to skim your info as well.  Most of the technology to protect against this puts things into their own sandbox environment when they're accessed to not expose the rest of your device while running.  If someone injects code in the handshake with the device it's possible to bypass the security features that protect your info.  

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 12 of 93
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Skimmed/Fraud- set those alerts if you haven't


@GApeachy wrote:

Dil had to go to ER last night, took the WalmartMC in case she needed it for medicine afterward.  Just got an alert that the acct. was within $200 of credit limit on a 0 balance acct.

1st charge- last night

2nd-6th charges- this morning

Total Charges Pending: $963.00 (None of which they will be responsible forSmiley Wink )

Evil ppl out there.  I keep telling them to get rfid wallets, card sleeves.....this is ridiculous.  She never once pulled her card out; they haven't used it in a month. smh!  I told them to keep an eye on their bank accts. and that's why I don't carry a debit card any longer.

 


Got that right! Put the Debit Card in a vault and it stays there. We need to remember, besides not having the same protections as credit cards, the Banks that issue the Debit Cards have a lot to say on the temporary and permanent return of funds. They are suppose to be our advocates with the Merchants but ... ? Yeah, that's what the fine print says but, I read other wise as to actual results! Why pass on rewards anyway?

Starting Score: 300
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 93
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER


@M_Smart007 wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Obscure-Expert wrote:

and have NFC turned on always and not per use.  


What is that please?


@GApeachy  ."NFC"Near-field communication

 


thank you!




Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 786
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

”MY TAKE HOME PAY DON’T TAKE ME HOME”
Message 14 of 93
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

This is Greek to me....I will study up on it.  Thanks!




Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 786
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

”MY TAKE HOME PAY DON’T TAKE ME HOME”
Message 15 of 93
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Skimmed in the ER


@GApeachy wrote:

This is Greek to me....I will study up on it.  Thanks!


Hmm ... cool! Did not know you were Greek ?

Starting Score: 300
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 93
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

It's Greek to a lot of people.  Something a lot of people don't really look into as so many people just use it.  With most of the fraud policies in place through major networks the liability $0 or $50 or whatever it is for a card negates the need for most people to look into the technology behind it.  

 

Old saying.... Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 17 of 93
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

Re: Skimmed/Fraud- set those alerts if you haven't


@Dinosaur wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

Dil had to go to ER last night, took the WalmartMC in case she needed it for medicine afterward.  Just got an alert that the acct. was within $200 of credit limit on a 0 balance acct.

1st charge- last night

2nd-6th charges- this morning

Total Charges Pending: $963.00 (None of which they will be responsible forSmiley Wink )

Evil ppl out there.  I keep telling them to get rfid wallets, card sleeves.....this is ridiculous.  She never once pulled her card out; they haven't used it in a month. smh!  I told them to keep an eye on their bank accts. and that's why I don't carry a debit card any longer.

 


Got that right"Put the Debit Card in a vault and it stays there."   We need to remember, besides not having the same protections as credit cards, the Banks that issue the Debit Cards have a lot to say on the temporary and permanent return of funds. They are suppose to be our advocates with the Merchants but ... ? Yeah, that's what the fine print says but, I read other wise as to actual results! Why pass on rewards anyway?


+1

 

popcorn eating emoticon.gif

Message 18 of 93
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER


@Dinosaur wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

This is Greek to me....I will study up on it.  Thanks!


Hmm ... cool! Did not know you were Greek ?


Hey @Dinosaur , I eat Greek salads, does that count? .. can't seem to find Hebrew ones thoughSmiley Wink

 

Have a good day!, and try to stay out of troubleSmiley Very Happy

 

 

 

 

popcorn eating emoticon.gif

Message 19 of 93
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Skimmed in the ER

I make all the payments for everyone here at the house.  They all have smartphones but me (a dumbphone) and I'm kinda glad I don't have anything smarter than myself....hopefully? Smiley Embarassed  I would never, and they don't either, think about things like that.

Thanks for that link.

Dh and I both have some fraud charges recently too, now wondering if it's related, ds and dil have used their cards at the same place as well.  Also, the clerk was fired one week later...now I'm going hmmmmmm.

I gotta get caught up.

And yeah, I told Ds and dil to watch their bank accts. as well.




Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 786
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

”MY TAKE HOME PAY DON’T TAKE ME HOME”
Message 20 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.