Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skimmers and Manual Entry?

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Skimmers and Manual Entry?

(Credit card skimming tech)

Capital One and Discover shut our cards down with a quickness yesterday.  New ones are already on the way.  Fraud investigation on both.  Both banks say the transaction(s) is a manual input from that store. 11 mins apart

If your card is skimmed, can someone then use it to manually input the info. to make it seem like it came from a gas station you visit daily?

Is a Manual entry from a gas station only a transaction from that gas station? An inside job? Or something else is possible?

I've had a busy week with fraud/identity theft from 2017 and now this....wth!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Skimmers and Manual Entry?

@GApeachy sorry to hear about two frauds added to the 2017! Be glad it was not a Debit Card! Wish you the best and will be on the sidelines following what you find out? Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@GApeachysorry to hear about two frauds added to the 2017! Be glad it was not a Debit Card! Wish you the best and will be on the sidelines following what you find out? Smiley Sad

Thank you!  

Corp. Office from the fuel chain just called, they have an Auditor working on it now.  

Message 3 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Be glad it was not a Debit Card! 

Oh wow! I did have my Debit Card shut down in 2017, you just reminded me!  Synovus said it was at a WaWa gas station in Orlando, Fl. 

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like it’s time to get a dedicated gas card that you can freeze when you aren’t fueling. What a headache, so sorry!

Message 5 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I was told a person with a skimmer can steal your info. off the card, come back later using GPS and run the transaction(s) making it look like it came from within the store.  That's just one instance I was told but seems plausible.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

I was told a person with a skimmer can steal your info. off the card, come back later using GPS and run the transaction(s) making it look like it came from within the store.  That's just one instance I was told but seems plausible.

That’s not plausible. The only way they could make it look like it came from within the store is if they used the credit card machine inside the store. GPS isn’t enough to tie a merchant to a credit card transaction, the merchant’s actual merchant account with the credit card network would need to be used as well. 

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

On top of that, if it’s anything like here in NY (and I don’t know why it wouldn’t be), a customerbonly has the option to swipe or insert a card to pay. One cannot punch in the number, but a clerk could in the event that the card reader wasn’t working. It has the smell of an inside job honestly.
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it very much stinks of an inside job and a cover up by corporate.
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Corporate I think is a slim maybe, but at store manager level a definite possibility. Laura and I discussed this incident yesterday, and when she spoke with the store they said they couldn’t find the transactions. I don’t buy that one bit. Software for a business would be designed at corporate directive to log everything, likely to the level of a keystroke logger, that occurs on the terminal, and I’d be very surprised that two fraudulent transactions would be the ones “lost in the system” while others are right there...
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.