Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small debt to collection question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small debt to collection question

First off, I don't know what section this goes in. I am currently a college student and started my credit joruney in 2016.According to Discover, Cap one, and BOA, my FICO score is 732. I went to the doctor in January at school. Fast Forward to today, I have a debt collector asking for 64 dollars. This was due to a mis match between the copays. I contacted the Student Health Clinic here at school.  They verfiied that I do owe he 64 dollars. Apparently the bill was sent to my physical address back home and not our PO Box. For some reaon the collector was unable to send the letter to my address here at college. Everything is verified that I do owe the 64 dollars. As a finance major, I know how important credit is. Will this effect my score at all? What happends if I pay the 64 dollars to collections?  Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Small debt to collection question

The CRAs recently enacted a policy, as set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan, that even if reported, they will not include any collection on medical debt until the debt has become delinquent for at least 180 days.

The explicit intent of that new policy is for consumers to do exactly what you are doing..... have a period to handle medical debt issues that often arise with medical insurors before they affect your credit report/score.

I would get it paid ASAP.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact them, pay it and make sure you get some type of verification from them that it was paid and will not be reported. Don't let $64 escalate to more issues.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and contacted them. The debt collector wass Fidelity Creitor Services. I went ahead and paid the $64. They said ill get  a verification email in three buisness days. Is it normal to wait a few business days to get a verification? 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP—While instant verification is everyone’s desire, in my past experience, a few days is not unusual. Just stay on top of it and make sure it gets done.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 and guard that email with your life, you don't want them pull a fast one on you later.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my debt was 62.64. Apparently it automattically gave me 20% off bringing my total paid to $53 dollars. They ensured me that it was a discount and the remaning wont ever be resold. The person said they do not report to CB and that my credit is %100 uneffected. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had this happen a few times. It seems that my local medical office doesn't like to send out bills or notify you of an amount owing. I only hear of it 3 months later from the Collection Agency. I've got 3(paid) of them all under $60 on my CR because of this. Annoying to say the least, but nothing you can do because you do owe it. Just be nice to head it off by them mailing out a bill first though...

Or at the very least, tell you at the office? They don't mind asking for the co-pay at that time. lol

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.