Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft pull see other soft pulls?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soft pull see other soft pulls?

I got all my scores back up above 750 and now I'm shopping for some credit with lots of soft pulls. Researched this topic until levels of frustration and can't seem to find a REAL answer. Couple came close but I didn't feel confident that it was answered by someone who really knew Smiley Happy

So one thing I do ask, no guessing please. There is enough speculation out there to drive people crazy and would LOVE to have this addressed by a lender who actually does soft pulls to get a definitive answer!

Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Soft pull see other soft pulls?

If you pull your CRs directly from the CBs. It clearly states the SPs can ONLY be seen by you. That's about as definitive as it gets.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax also told me my information was secure... LOL.

I realize they "say" that, but I still don't trust it, don't think that's definitive enough. That's why I say would like to know for sure, which means someone who actually does softpulls would know.

Going consensus is that they can see the exact same information on a soft as a hard, so wondering..
Message 3 of 21
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Equifax also told me my information was secure... LOL.

I realize they "say" that, but I still don't trust it, don't think that's definitive enough. That's why I say would like to know for sure, which means someone who actually does softpulls would know.

Going consensus is that they can see the exact same information on a soft as a hard, so wondering..

I work for a small financial institution and I do the soft pulls, I don't really understand what you are asking though.

Message 4 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

They can see your HPs. They can't see the SPs.
Between my current lenders and those that want to be my lenders, I have probably several hundred SPs on Equifax alone. You're worrying about nothing. lol
Same goes for TU and EX.
Message 5 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

All lenders, whenever they access your files, whether they use a Hard Pull or Soft Pull, will be able to access exactly the same information by either method. What lenders will not be able to have access to is each other's SPs (e.g. Chase can't access or view those from Synchrony and viceversa).

Now, that being said, let's say that you have 2 CCs by BoA and let's say that you qualified for a SP CLI on card #1, Chase will not be able to see the SP if you decided to request one from them down the road. But, if you apply for another CLI on card #2 with BoA 3 months later, internally their records will display the SP "action" from card #1 (i.e. same institution).

This isn't speculation and it is as definitive as what Gmood commented above.
Message 6 of 21
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
Between my current lenders and those that want to be my lenders, I have probably several hundred SPs on Equifax alone. You're worrying about nothing. lol
Same goes for TU and EX.

This^^^

I only see HP's when I'm looking over the CR's we pull. I also get to look over other CR's that are pulled from different company's when we get outside submissions and still only see the HP's.

Message 7 of 21
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got all my scores back up above 750 and now I'm shopping for some credit with lots of soft pulls. Researched this topic until levels of frustration and can't seem to find a REAL answer. Couple came close but I didn't feel confident that it was answered by someone who really knew Smiley Happy

Here's what I'd like to know: How exactly are you, "shopping for some credit with lots of soft pulls?" I wasn't aware you could actually shop credit until you pulled the trigger and allowed a hard inquiry.

Conversely, any other card shopping is likely to be obscured by algorithms heavily influenced by promotional marketing, moreso than your actual underlying credit. In fact, it's been reported that, some of these card promo websites will give out pre-approvals regardless of the veracity of personal information entered.

Only lenders that you already have active accounts with are likely to give you solid pre-approvals based on nothing more than soft inquiries... and of course, your ongoing account history, prior to that.

That said, it would be interesting to see from a lender perspective... any variation between the printout from a hard pull report, and that of a soft pull report. I've read that they both essentially see the same thing. But, I've also read that the hard pull may be a bit more detailed. As the previous poster mentioned, neither a hard nor soft pull would share promotional inquiries, as stated.

Although, I'm wondering how this could be frustrating? Even if it did share promotional inquiries with other creditors, these cannot very well be attributed to consumer applications... as potential creditors actively promote their card product marketing by paying the credit bureaus for information that allows them to generate mass mailers - through promotional inquires - pulled of their own volition.

The only thing conceivably frustrating, would be attempting to apply for a plethora of credit products through only soft pulls, to begin with. Anyone that took that approach would soon discover that it's nigh impossible to accumulate much of anything solely through promotional inquiries - other than from a few toy retailers.

P.S. Frankly, with a credit score of, "750," you can just go ahead and apply... knowing that you will more than likely get approved for any credit product. The only thing that can knock you, at that point, would be a modest income, inconsistent address history, or a poor history with that particular lender.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
Same goes for TU and EX.

Between MyFico, CreditKarma, and the other credit monitoring sites ive been to, I have almost 300 pulls (per my hard copy transunion i just got in the mail at the beginning of the month) just from those sort of sites.

I have another 100 or so from Capital One, Citi, Comenity, Synch, and so on for Account Review pulls.

Hell, Cap One alone has soft pulled my report over 50 times this year (two cards and creditwise)

Message 9 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Something else to add OP. Depending on the type of credit origination or review, keep in mind that even though a lender may "SP" your primary reports (EX, TU and/or EQ), it won't prevent them from accessing other alternative reports, which at such point they can access additional data, especially from a credit seeking perspective. This is typically built into most lenders' internal risk algorithms.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.