Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about adding an AU

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Some questions about adding an AU

Hey everyone...Just a few questions for those that have added AU's to their accounts. 

~Can you add a nephew? and what's the minimum age? he's 14.

~Which lenders will allow you to add an AU that doesnt live with you, or does that matter?

~Which lenders do you know of, or have current AU relationship with that report the AU account to the CRA's? 

~What about the address that gets reported to the CRA? His place currently or mine? Mine wouldnt be his legal address, and Id want his current legal address on file with the CRA. 

Thanks for any and all input! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some questions about adding an AU

@pizza1 wrote:

Hey everyone...Just a few questions for those that have added AU's to their accounts. 

~Can you add a nephew? and what's the minimum age? he's 14.

yes, varies by lender; many will let you add at that age

~Which lenders will allow you to add an AU that doesnt live with you, or does that matter?

doesn't matter

~Which lenders do you know of, or have current AU relationship with that report the AU account to the CRA's? 
Most of the big banks do

~What about the address that gets reported to the CRA? His place currently or mine? Mine wouldnt be his legal address, and Id want his current legal address on file with the CRA. 
IME, with Chase, it reported the main cardholder's address on the AU. Probably YMMV by lender

Thanks for any and all input! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I only have experience being or having an AU w/ Discover, but I think I can give partial answers to some of your questions.

1) Minimum age for an AU varies by issuer.  Disco is 15.

2) AU not having the same address as you shouldn't matter.  If you add a bunch of AUs unrelated to you at addresses all over the country, that might make an issuer's renting sense tingle, but if you're just adding one person you should be fine.

3) This will also vary by issuer, but I think pretty much all of the majors will report.  Disco definitely does.

4) I don't know on this one.  My spouse and I have the same address, so I don't know how that would report if we didn't.

Message 3 of 5
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Ok so I've added non-related AU's to Amex and Chase cards with different addresses and they reported no issue. Only thing was they get periodic cc offers at my house. Added my Teenagers to my Discover and it showed up no problem. Wife was added to my Penfed card 5 years ago and it only showed up on her report 6months ago... weird. Synchrony and Comenity never showed it up when I added AU's to their cards.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only issue is for score 8 and newer, it may be excluded from the Scoring Metrics if the last name and address don’t match. We haven’t been able to conclusively tie it down, but it seems related to that, the anti-abuse algorithm. So if you wanted it to contribute to his scoring for Version 8 and newer, your address would be preferable. (One can have many addresses/residences.)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.